Phone Notifications

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Apr 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I didn't see something posted on this yet. I assume the behavior I'm seeing is the way CO used to handle flight status notifications.

A couple of weeks ago I started getting phone calls for the following items:

24 hours out to check-in. One for each member of my party.
    3 hours prior to flight. Flight status notifications.

The second one is especially annoying for 6am departures, since I live fairly close to the airport and don't get up at 3am for those flights. When I got a call to check-in 24 hours ahead of time today, I decided to investigate how to change this.

In the end, it doesn't appear I can set up my preferences the way they used to be. I used to get phone calls JUST for delays or cancellations and e-mail updates with flight status and gate notifications.

The current system appears to require you to select your e-mail or phone preferences for all the different types of alerts you want to receive, as opposed to being able to choose different delivery methods for different types of alerts.

Am I seeing this wrong?

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you're not seeing it wrong at all and (imho) the settings/options were are given is much more limited than under PMUA's EasyUpdate

View account details->Manage Profile->View Flight Status Notification Subscription Settings

And this is all you get

Types of flight notifications (check boxes)
    • Notify me when my flights are delayed or cancelled
    • Notify me of my flight status and gate information (with time option)
    • Notify me when I may check in online and print boarding passes
    Please notify me by
    • Phone
    Notify me (check boxes)
    • Day of Travel
    • Day Before travel
    Quiet Time

And note that if you store the same phone number used for updates in multiple MP member profiles, your primary number will not be recognized by the VRU and that $ucks as under PMUA EasyUpdate, I used my cell for text notifications for goalie-mom, goalie-dad and goalie-sis in addition to myself but if I leave it set up that way, my cell (my primary number in my profile) is not recognized by the VRU and I have to key-in or say my MP number :mad:

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have not been able to get the system to recognize my number when I call in. I tried deleting it from my profile and putting it in again. System still prompts me for my number each time I called.

4. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the number you want to use us not listed in another family member's profile? That was the problem for me as no sooner did I remove it from my folks and my sister, it was recognized

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This should solve the 3am calls issue.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It does. But, under the old system, I would still get that call if my flight was delayed or cancelled, as opposed to the one I have no use for at 3 am telling me my flight is on time.

I want to know as soon as possible, even if I'm sleeping, if there's an issue. For me, the new system restricts my ability to do so and still retain my other preferences.

goalie likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also noticed that it does not allow for SMS messages.

Kinda of odd that you can have it fax your itinerary, but the "best of class" .pss website does not support SMS :confused:

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is temporary and will be added at some point, but they're definitely pushing the mobile apps these days. I've had more consistent notifications from TripIt than the old UA system offered anyway.

DCA1K likes this.