Phone center is closed; how to use the free 24 hour cancellation on BA Award?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by tjtj, Apr 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tjtj

tjtj Active Member

Status Points:
    I made a reservation using Avios 22 hours ago, and I realized today (right after the executive club line closed for the day) that I need to cancel it. The policy is that I can cancel it on the phone within 24 hours and no fees will be charged.
    • The regular reservation agents can't cancel an award ticket.
    • Singapore/Hong Kong executive club agents can't cancel one issued in the USA.
    • If I try to cancel online, I'm looking at $40 in fees per person.
    Any tips, besides calling the USA executive club office in the morning and hoping for the best?

2. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Relax, put on the kettle and make yourself a nice cuppa. Seated? Good!

Okay, here goes. Unless you are a Gold card holder there's no avoiding the redeposit fee.

3. tjtj

tjtj Active Member

Status Points:
    Result: Called in this morning, was told that my weak explanation for why the booking was a mistake was not good enough, and I'll be charged the $40 fee. Oh well.

Prospero, the terms suggest that they'll at least do a free redeposit for blatant mistakes, presumably something like wrong name or birth date, wrong airport, etc. Is this not even the case?

4. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prospero called it correctly.
    Cancellation of a miles ticket can be done anytime up to 24 hours before departure. Yours was treated as a normal cancellation so therefore was subject to the fee.