Phone access in Cuba??

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by dc3, Sep 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have a suggestion for phone service for a one week trip to Cuba?

jbcarioca, daninstl and Newscience like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

:p (just kidding - sorry :)) - Hope you have a good trip! :)

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll guess that you're not going to get this from Verizon or T-Mobile! Following ACMM's example-

Skype.jpg

jbcarioca, ACMM and daninstl like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    ETESCA dba Cubacel operates there. As an American I can't do business with them but I've "heard" they have offices at a couple of the terminals there that sell prepaid phones and sims. www.etesca.cu has more info. I think they require unlocked GSM 900mhz phones to operate on their network. I believe that it may be difficult for Cuban residents to obtain or afford the phones so they can be a theft or black market target.

Newscience, jbcarioca and ACMM like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest solution for US people is National Geographic Talk Abroad AFAIK:
    http://www.cellularabroad.com/travelphone.php
    There are some roaming agreements with US carriers, they are permitted under US law, but I do not know any myself that do Cuba roaming other than the one above.
    If you have a SIM from almost any Latin American country from Mexico to most of South America, and the majority of European countries too they almost all have roaming with Cuba, but prices vary and tend to be high, just not as high as the US ones.
    Foreigners cannot buy sims from Cubacel and data plans seem not to be available, at least I could not find a way to have data. Anyway Cubacel coverage is pretty poor. Even though I have Cuba roaming on one of my postpaid non US accounts I end out not using it much at all while there. Hotel internet is much leads unsatisfactory IME. YMMV and conditions change. I have not been there for more than a year so I am not really up to date. Miami shops usually know exactly how to handle this issue, as do American Airlines crew who man their numerous daily flights to Cuba from, mostly, MIA.

6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your replies

jbcarioca likes this.