Phoenix Airport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by arshavin, Dec 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    While returning back from Orlando, I had a layover at PHX airport. Is it me or this airport needs serious renovation? Everything looks old and dilapidated compared to other airports I have flown, which are not many but still. I was wondering what are the thoughts of other well travelled MPers.

2. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    PHX is our "home airport," and what one sees/encounters, will depend on the terminal. There are three: Terminal 2, 3 & 4. Three & 4 are the newer ones, and Terminal 2 is quite old. However, as we fly UA most often, Terminal 2 is our "home terminal." It is easy to access, is usually less crowded, but is OLD. The newer restaurants are in Terminal 4, which is much busier, usually.

Which terminal did you fly through?

Talk is that Terminal 2 will be shut down soon, and with the AA/US merger, and changes in PHX service, I would not be surprised to see a big shuffle taking place. Right now, the Light Rail/Airport Train is only going to Terminals 3 & 4, so there will probably be changes - some whispered, some intimated, and some that will likely have to happen.

The particular airline and terminal WILL make a difference.

3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal 2 is planned to be shut down. It was built in the early 60's and while it shows it's age, it's very easy to get in and out of and I kind of like it.

The news is reporting AA will move into Terminal 4 in mid February.

redtailshark likes this.
  4. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew Southwest and was on Gate 123. Not sure which terminal was it. I mean just the ambience felt as if nobody cares about this airport. My flight was delayed so took a walk inside the terminal and was not impressed. Not many food choices either. One good thing I liked was free wifi with good speed.

I was coming from Orlando and going to SJC via PHX. Not sure why all the SWA flights were delayed today. Weather was gorgeous in MCO, PHX as well as SJC.

5. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've been saying that for 20-years; do you think it is really going to happen? I actually like T-2 because you can park across the street and security is always quick.

WN flies in to T-4, but on the "other side". The US (ex-HP) side of the terminal has some dining post security; however, it has been a while. Lot's of stuff pre-security, though (not that it does much good then when transferring.)

kellio likes this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, finally. The city council approved a 500M remodel of T3 and a shut down of T2. T2 reminds me of LGB, in and out quickly and love the parking across the street.

Speaking of parking - 40% off coupon for T3/T4 parking 12/18-1/6 here -> http://skyharbor.com/parkingcoupon
    T2 is excluded.

misman likes this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've mostly flown UA in/out of PHX and always feel like I'm in a time warp at that terminal. The one time I've flown US I felt like I was in a totally different airport. Glad to hear about the forthcoming upgrades.

8. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    If one looks across the tarmac, they will see the "Sky Train" ending, just after T3, and before T2. My wife, who meets with the mayor often, says the same thing - T2 will be history, but no one is saying when. I will miss T2.

Now, all of that was before the finalization of the merger between US and AA. That might well impact things?

If T2 shuts down, I will miss it, even if there are better dining options in T3, or T4. For us, it's about the time required, to get checked in (luggage), then Security. If we are flying T2 (normal), we arrive 2 hours for domestic. If we are flying out of T4, that expands to 2.5 hours.

We will be curious how things progress, and where UA will end up? Even with PreCheck, the Security lines at T4 are long.

arshavin likes this.
  9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Different issue. We have a timeshare at the Westin Kierland Resort so we go every year. Yes, the car rental center might be a way for them to have all of the companies in one spot but what a shlep from the terminal! And I've occasionally had to wait 15 minutes for a shuttle back. No thanks. Stopped doing it and how we take a taxi to the hotel and rent there starting the next day - opposite at the end of the vacation. Might work for the airport but not for me.

arshavin likes this.
  10. arshavin

arshavin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my thoughts. In my opinion, airports give a feel of the city. I am in no hurry to vacation there anytime soon. I met a very nice gentleman from Phoenix on the plane, we chatted a while. He was not exactly complimentary of the airport either. Though he showed pictures in his phone of interesting animals that showed up on his property, which intrigued me.

11. erthcrclr

erthcrclr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm no fan of this airport either, but I can recommend the Barrio Café in terminal 4. The cochinita pibil sandwich I got more than tempered the hike to my actual terminal.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind Terminal 2 at all. Easy to get in/out quickly. Terminals 3 and 4 take quite a bit longer. Even Terminal 4 is even a bit old. I recall going there to do some work, in 1998, maybe? Looking online, I see it saying 1990 which seems way earlier than I recall. I think I flew out of Terminal 1 in the late 70's.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  13. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, T2 IS a time-warp, even with a fairly recent redo, about 2001(?). It was the first terminal that we flew into, back in about '93, and now that we are residents, and UA fliers, it's our "home terminal."

We never encountered T1, and I cannot recall anyone ever commenting on it, other than to mention that it once existed.

14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    PHX T2 may be low-ceilinged and apparently dilapadated, but I think this terminal is a flyer's gem.... it features rapid checkin/gate access, supercheap LT parking in a lot that is located directly adjacent to the terminal structure, easy driving returns for pick up, etc. Food options do suck but then again, the whole facility encourages you not to want or need them. Better that than endless, rat-maze-like pseudomalls with overpriced food and useless travel trinkets that just extend the whole experience and drain the wallet....All shiny and new is not always a good thing....

flyforawg likes this.