Phnom Penh travel warnings

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kwai, Dec 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This year snatchings have grown to epidemic proportions. We know of multiple people who have suffered at this practice. Some with dire results (eg having bags pulled from motorbikes causing accidents).

Today my better half, while walking in the middle of the day, was approached by 2 motor bikes, each with 2 guys, and left without being injured and without her purse.

The financial hit is highly damaging at the moment but there's much that money can't buy. And quality medical care in Cambodia is one of them. Thankfully she's shaken but unharmed.

For women: Do not carry your purse in the open if you can devise a way to avoid it.

For all, put your bags on the floor of the tuk tuk. Place your backpacks in front of you on motorbikes. Do not carry anything too precious to lose.

Sadly life is cheap in Cambodia and these events are commonplace.

anileze, uggboy, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the very good advise!
    Unfortunately the same advise is needed almost anywhere, not just in Cambodia or third world countries. Similar occurrences happen everyday. In Rome, Santiago, New York, ect.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a born and bred NY'er I'm not familiar with anything of the sort.

NYBanker, anileze and uggboy like this.
  4. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the correction. I have never seen motorbikes used in NYC.

anileze and uggboy like this.