PHL - Upcoming tight connection - What would you do?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by jemmazee, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming flight booked with a tight PHL connection -
    #1845 3:30 PM PVD - 5:13 PM PHL
    #74 5:55 PM PHL - 8:56 PM SEA
    I usually don't mind taking the gamble, but I'm worried about this one. I have confirmed upgrades on both legs, but I really don't want to miss that PHL-SEA flight because I need to be at a client first thing the next morning. I'm considering going standby on an earlier PVD-PHL flight that would get me in with plenty of time to spare (landing 2:54), but would be on an E175 and I would give up the upgrade on the first leg (which of course isn't a big deal for the short hop to PHL).The earlier flight still has plenty of seats, so I don't think moving up would be a problem.
    What would you do?

2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're probably okay. You're going to be landing in either B/C, and departing from either B/C, so even if you have to go from the end of C to the end of B, you have no more than a 10 minute walk. So even if you land a little late, you'll be one of the first off the plane, and you should be able to get there in plenty of time. I'm looking at flightaware right now, and it looks like the on time performance is pretty good.

I had a similar situation a couple months ago on DCA-PHL-LAX, with a 40 min connection in PHL. My flight from DCA was late and landed at 9:13, flight to LAX scheduled to leave 9:40. Landed in C, went to B, got to the gate just as they were boarding zone 1.

The only consideration I might take into account is the weather on the day of your flight.

3. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd move up, just because I've been burned by ATC delays in and out of PHL too many times. Boarding starts for your second flight just 12 minutes or so after you're scheduled to land, and while you do have an assigned seat, if you get put in a 10 minute traffic hold and have a 10 minute walk between gates, you're going to be awfully close to the time when the GA is going to be looking for no-shows and filling seats. If you had an extra 10-15 minutes of cushion time, I'd not be as worried, but 5pm at PHL can be really smooth or really messy and it would suck pretty bad to have the ATC gods line up against you and leave you in the back of the plane for that long flight to SEA. I do know they pad the schedules a bit to accomodate holds and such, but I'd rather play it sa.

jerseychris1 likes this.
  4. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback guys ... you know if I go ahead and move up, my scheduled flight will be early and I wouldn't have had a problem, but if I stick with the current schedule I'll be late and I won't make it.

dcpatti, you make me think back to a time in PHL when we arrived 15 minutes late, but there was no GA to open the door so we were stuck on the plane for another 25 minutes and my 50 minute layover turned into 10 minutes. We could even hear the pilot making some frustrated calls to try to get somebody to come and get us off the plane and bunch of people, myself included, were making calls to the preferred line to try to get somebody to help. I just barely made my connection after running from the far end (of course) of C to the far end (of course) of B.

I guess in the end two hours sitting in the PHL club is a better option than a PHL-SEA flight in the back of the plane.