PHL-LHR gone post merger

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Sean Colahan, Jul 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    zpaul and jbcarioca like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    VS/DL is the only potential competitor that makes any sense at all, and their connecting network is somewhat limited.

3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad they didn't give up CLT.;)

4. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised they would give up their only PHL-LHR route. Are LHR slots route specific?

LETTERBOY and zpaul like this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They'd be giving up one of two LHR slots. The BA slot counts as AA due to JV, hence them needing to give it up. ;)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sortof.

My understanding is that some are short-haul and other are long-haul but otherwise they're pretty open. At the same time, however, the competition bureau can dictate that certain routes be dropped. They did it when the AA/BA/IB joint venture was approved, demanding that BOS and MIA routes be dropped and other airlines given those slots. I believe after one year the slots became fungible to the airline (DL in this case) which acquired them.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always said if something's gonna get chopped, it's gonna be PHL.

Everyone says it's a different market, large, profitable, etc. But nobody's gonna give up slots in DC or NYC proper to keep PHL. Now maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY and zpaul like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't the company choosing to cut in PHL; it is the government telling them they don't have a choice. It almost doesn't matter, though. There is no competition on the route anyways so basically they have to give up a route and fly with their ATI/JV partner, similar to what happened in BOS where now it is just BA metal. There will still be two daily LHR-PHL flights and the OW partners have done a much better job with the metal-neutrality than *A. The real question is if anyone wants to try to compete there; I agree that VS/DL is most likely but also don't think it is very likely.

9. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    Virgin Atlantic or Delta may pick up this route, but even that is a long shot. Depending on how the government wants the slot to be used, an airline may fly PHL-LHR for a specified time period then move the route elsewhere. Similar to how Delta flew MIA-LHR for a year or so after AA gave it up to get the JV with British.

zpaul likes this.
  10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd trade an LHR flight for access to the BA lounge...

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The PHL AC is actually co-located inside the BA Galleries lounge. ;)

12. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's funny how all BOS-LHR were slowly but completely eliminated a few years later.

13. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just reread the article, and if I understand correctly, US/AA will give up a LHR slot which would be used by a competitor for PHL-LHR; they don't necessarily have to drop PHL-LHR and instead they can drop a LHR frequency elsewhere in their network.

LETTERBOY and eponymous_coward like this.
  14. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. The EU is asking for competition on the route. So drop something like RDU-LHR or a frequency elsewhere.

It would be nuts for AA to drop PHL-LHR frequencies when very soon, all their PHL-Europe/India/Africa connecting traffic is going to go through LHR instead of FRA or IAD.

Seriously- can you name an AA hub that doesn't have a frequency to LHR? Why would PHL be any different?

miles and smiles and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:

I doubt RDU-LHR is going anywhere.

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even when AA is about to inherit a hub 130 miles away that it would be super-easy to run RDU shuttle service to? A fortress hub that is in pretty good shape?

Yes, I know, AA needs to grovel for Smith-Kline-Glaxo (or whoever it is they need to grovel for) and run a route that is pretty patently illogical from a network perspective now that the RDU hub is dead, no more, gone to meet it's maker and joined the bleeding choir invisible, save for a massive corporate subsidy. I'm just saying from a network perspective it's even more illogical when you have a major hub two hour's drive away, and this isn't like PHL and JFK, where you have all of freakin' Manhattan and NJ in between them. Running a RDU-CLT shuttle to time well with an international departure bank from a hub is pretty easy compared to CLT-ORD/MIA/JFK/DFW- and they'll have to do it anyways (unless the only places that huge mega-important customer ever flies to are RDU and LHR).

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, even when.

If it's profitable they'll keep it. The rest doesn't matter if the $$$$ is there. If they can get more money by removing the flight, of course. But I don't see it going in the near future personally.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Except that Delta just launched LAX-RDU-LAX transcons and can feed LAX traffic to Europe through RDU if they were to add RDU-LHR, for instance. RDU isn't top-tier strategic, but it's important, and it matters for several large corporate contracts, I'd imagine.

A lot of the RDU-LHR traffic is, in fact, O/D traffic at both ends, from what I'm told.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assume you mean RDU-LHR/CDG/AMS the second place I bolded, right?

Quick question: assume you are not a crazy mileage runner who loves to sit in planes for the extra miles. In fact, you want to get where you need to go as fast as possible. Do you fly to Europe out of LAX, or connect on the East Coast and add an extra stop (and incidentally make it much more difficult to get a lot of sleep on your flight)?

If DL wants to run RDU-Europe, it's for O/D, not for connecting. I hear they have this minor hub in ATL they can use for connecting traffic. That being said, you'd think CDG/AMS makes more sense because the network for DL in LHR is going to be weak sauce in comparison.

And maybe AA sells well on RDU-LHR (or gets enough kickback on the corporate contract that a half-empty plane a lot of the time is perfectly OK). I do note that there seems to be reasonable award space there. During peak season for Europe. Huh. Go figure. ;)

20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, edited.

It would depend on flight times and fare, like most things. If the LAX-RDU was convenient and had a short connection in RDU, it might be worthwhile... especially if I'm stuck in coach and want to break up the trip. Sure, I'm flying ATL-LHR as well, but this gives me that "one more thing" for marketing slides, etc.

eponymous_coward likes this.