phantom Qatar availability on United ?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by kar69, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kar69

kar69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello!
    maybe somebody can help me...
    I am trying to book award tkt in business class JFK -DOH-RGN on Qatar on United website ,November 19..
    Both segments show as available in business(I), but when I tried to book, I got error at the end. I called United twice, both times agents could only find availability in revenue C, no award space, meanwhile I see it every day on United site- drives me insane..
    I booked JFK-BRU-BKK-RGN for now, but I'd really like to switch to Qatar and shorten my flight by 8 hours.
    If anybody knows the way to do it, I would be immensely grateful!
    Thank You!

2. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there was probably availability, but it disappeared.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    there's lots of problems with phantom avail. on Lufthansa and thai as well. Calling back (and sometimes avail. only opens up a day or two before). Calling back, calling back......

4. kar69

kar69 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank You for replies!
    I keep checking an flights out of IAD and JFK to Doha show available on United ,but will not booked online and are not seen by the agents.
    I called Qatar yesterday and their agent told me that award seats are available that day, including to partners.
    And then he said "You can use your United miles to book with us , just give us your United member's number" Does it sound right?
    I couldn't try it because my miles are tied up in United reservation..

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not at all. You have to book a MileagePlus award ticket via UA, not via the partner. My guess is that the agent was thinking about revenue tickets where they can put your number on the reservation.