PH Tokyo vs. PH Shanghai

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rdraper, May 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at burning some miles and points to Asia in the fall. So far have narrowed the choice down to the Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Park Hyatt Shanghai. For those of you who have been to both, any strong recommendations for one over the other? We haven't been to either city, so I'm also open to input as to which city may be more interesting for a 4 day visit.

2. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both were awesome properties, as I have stayed in both. To be honest...as a Diamond using a suite upgrade, I don't think you can do much better than the PH Shanghai. I had a 1300 sq ft room on the 89th floor and it was spectacular. The Diamond breakfast also is the best breakfast I have ever eaten at a hotel, and for free it was beyond belief :).

Now, the PH Tokyo is also an awesome property. Never once saw a housekeeper there in a 7 day stay, but my room was turned down twice a day. I swear they vanish like ninja or something (pun not intended...ok maybe a little...). They gave me several awesome little treats in my room day after day...a bowl of cherries, an awesome brownie tower thing, some other goodies. The hotel is great and breakfast is solid. Not PH SHanghai awesome, but decent enough.

As the cities go...I am just partial to Japan. It is my favorite place..and I LOVE Tokyo. They estimate it has 250,000 restaurants (I believe it...I saw more Spanish restaurants (5) for example there without looking than in any US city by far) and more Michelin stars than Paris. The city is orderly chaos....Shinjuku station at rush hour? Chaos! Yet...controlled. I love it.

Shanghai was great too though...steamed dumplings at Yu Yuan Park? Mmmm. Yangs fried dumplings? Yum. Great city. Although..if you put a gun to my head...I would say Tokyo....then Shanghai later...although the PH Shanghai is almost a destination by itself to me.

rdraper likes this.
  3. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Paladin, not sure this helps me make a decision since you made them both sounds so great.:)

I guess it assures me that I can't go wrong and it should be a good trip regardless of the decision.

On a bit of a tangent, have you been to Palacio Duhau in Buenos Aires? I received one of their named suites on a Diamond upgrade and it was fabulous as was the service. Can't beat a free breakfast delivered to your own private terrace (internal to the room yet open to the sky) each morning.

4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah the PH Buenos Aires...its been on my list but have not made it there yet.

5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    If service at the hotel matters, the PH Tokyo is impeccable. PH Shanghai has improved hugely since it opened, but is still not up to the level of PHT.

If the city outside matters, Tokyo wins hands down over Shanghai. As far as Yu Yuan park area is concerned, the LAST thing I expected to run into in China was a Chinatown! Might as well be in San Francisco or New York. Sure, the dumplings are good (not fabulous), but you'll likely have to wait in a huge line for if you want to eat in the "famous" restaurant.

If you are lucky to get further upgraded to a large suite, as the poster above was (and I was), you will likely have a larger room at the PHS than at the PHT. Not sure how much space I need, but the 800 or so sq ft size of the entry level suites at either hotel is fine for me.

You'll have a spectacular view from your room at the PHT. You'll probably also have a spectacular view from your room at the PHS, but the odds are you'll rarely see it due to the staggering air pollution in Shanghai. When we were there to see the total solar eclipse in 2009, we left the city to see it and were lucky we did as no one in Shanghai saw much at all.

thegrailer likes this.
  6. rdraper

rdraper Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, we have 2 votes for PH Tokyo. You guys definitely have me leaning in that direction. Anyone out there vote for PH Shanghai or will it be a landslide in favor of PH Tokyo?

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Compared to PH MXP, CDG, ZRH, WAS and ORD the PHS service was poor - albeit on a relative scale. Only slightly better than service at the PH MEL.

If staying in PVG, know your benefits going in because no will tell you and you won't have them offered to you

8. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both and would gladly stay at PH Tokyo again and again. Yes, there is nothing interesting in its immediate surroundings for me, but I found the shuttle bus to Shinjuku station perfectly convenient.

In my book, the only one minor item where PH Shanghai shines is in its Diamond amenity. I got a wonderful apple tart and a bottle of wine at PH Shanghai (suite) and a dessert pie (regular room), but 3 times at PH Tokyo I was underwhelmed with the F&B amenity (usually a box of something that is both small and strange looking).

9. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at PH Shanghai and visited PH Tokyo but never stayed there. PH Shanghai to me is a more impressive property and it's also much newer (opened September 2008 while PH Tokyo opened early-mid 1990s). Tokyo is a much nicer city than Shanghai IMHO, and Ive enjoyed Japan more than my travels throughout China.

10. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's certainly true that the PHT is a much older property than the PHS, but the housekeeping is immaculate -- you won't notice the age difference. But the PHS is in the second highest building in Asia (now that the Ritz-Carlton tower has opened in Hong Kong) and it is quite impressive when the smog clears enough to have good sight lines.

thegrailer likes this.
  11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good point on the smog about midday or later-ish the sky clears up and you can see much more.

RichardInSF likes this.