PH Tokyo on points or HR Tokyo cash with upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Singapore Flyer, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am heading to Japan and need two nights before heading to the Conrad. I have heard all the wonderful things about the PH. Not so much about the HR. So, here is my question. Which will be a better experience and relative value. I can book a standard room at PH or pay the rate at HR and use a suite upgrade, if available. I will reserve the HR and try to apply upgrade but is it worth using up 44k UR points? If yes, why? Looking for those that have been there to help make give me some insight.

karung99 and canucklehead like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the Park Hyatt and we are going back in October. I've visited the HR and there is really no comparison in my opinion. Is a suite upgrade not available at the Park Hyatt? I've never had a problem getting one. If Hyatt doesn't show availabillity, you might want to contact the hotel directly.

karung99 and canucklehead like this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It is more, should I spend the points which i have in limited supply or pay for a room at HR for under $300 for two nights and use my suite upgrade certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HR is a good choice for an inexpensive hotel in the Shinjuku area. You should be able to get it for $200/night. They have very few suites, so you may not have success using your suite upgrade. It has a workable lounge with breakfast in the mornings, and a 2-hour cocktail and appetizer hour in the evenings. But it is not a luxury experience. It's a solid $200 experience for Tokyo.

The PH is really no comparison - it's a luxury experience. And they have lots of suites. No appetizers in the evening, however.

The Tochomae subway stop, on the Oedo Line, is practically under the HR (and a short talk from the PH), and you can take it to Shiodome, which has an entrance into the Conrad.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would do whatever it takes to stay at the PH. I would rank it as one of the best hotels I have stayed at in terms of service and I would not consider staying anywhere else in Tokyo. Japan is not a cheap destination, although the yen is much better now (95 to the dollar) than the last time we went at 77 to the dollar, so if you are going to spend the money to go there I highly suggest getting the best you can. Don't miss the fish market while you are there, it is fantastic. My wife booked a sumo match and I thought she was crazy, but it was really enjoyable and very easy to get to.

From NYC, tommy777, Tenmoc and 2 others like this.
  6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you haven't stayed at the PH Tokyo before, you should as there are few other properties in the Hyatt family that are better experiences. It's less of a which is the better value question and more of crossing off an item from a hotel bucket list. I might have your dilemma next time I'm in Tokyo and may go with the HR or more likely GH in Roppongi as I like trying new places.

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    It is actually less than 140 right now. But Ye lack of suites is a good thin to know. Will check if I go that route.

karung99 and marcwint55 like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    There is definitely a part of me that is thinking that way. However it is balanced by staying 3 nights at the Conrad at the low rate and using my (soon coming but probably not the time our trip in May) hyatt suite nights from chase at PH Vendome.

karung99, IDGflygirl and marcwint55 like this.
  9. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agreed with all those poster who choose PH Tokyo, I will burn 22K to stay there again.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would burn 33000 for a suite!

marcwint55 and karung99 like this.
  11. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was lucky didn't have to burn that for the suite for 6 days :)
    Excellent service all around. I could have paid 33K for suite also. Hope they are not going to deduct it from me now.

12. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Was it your friendly disposition and diamond status? :)

karung99 and marcwint55 like this.
  13. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    definitely give the PH Tokyo a chance! It's a GREAT place and better than the Conrad. Perhaps you should stay at the Conrad first and then the PH Tokyo. :)

marcwint55 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  14. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Ah, if we didn't have 3/28 resulting in a large bump in points needed for the Conrad, I would switch it around. :rolleyes:

marcwint55 likes this.
  15. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    So, i have been checking and there are no suites available for any of the nights at the PH that we are there. The GH's location isn't suited for this trip according to my wife, so we may have to just stay at the HR, which also don't have suites at this time. :(

ETA: Tried HUCA and it worked!!!! Got three nights at PH Tokyo in a suite.

16. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen the Grand Suite, wasn't too wowed at first, but the Diplomatic Suite is huge - 160 Sqm, and that suite is wonderful.
    If you're lucky and get the Tokyo suite at 220 sqm you'll be in heaven. It's newly renovated and the living area is spectacular. There's a sauna and also the bath tub is more like a little pit. It's crazy! lol

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  17. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was diamond and I also wrote to GM about my visit requesting an upgrade if room upgrade is available upon check in :)

18. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Did you have to email a specific person a general email/site? I want see if they can book down reservations and or a possible higher upgrade as it is part of our 10 year anniversary.

karung99 likes this.
  19. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please PM. Gold Passport Concierge here, Nick and the gangs will be happy to give it to you.
    Ask politely and not demanding... always work with kind words. :)

Good luck!

20. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I actually started tweeting with the PH Tokyo Concierge. Very nice and pleasant. I'll always hope for the best, expect nothing and act kindly when it is not something that I should get. :)

Not Fade Away likes this.
  21. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Checked in yesterday. Super friendly, professional and accommodating. It is a bit difficult getting used to it but it we'll manage. :)

Got a park suite and it is pretty stunning. We don't have a. Lot of experience with these types of upgrades. The view of Mt. Fuji is really nice. Clear blue skies so far. We tweeted them on route that we brought our 1.5 yo on this trip and babyrized the room with baby amenities. Talk about service and efficiency. Also fixed and acted as a translator to fix our dinner reservations that we screwed up. Actually, they emailed to earn us but we didnt check until it was too late. Loving it so far. Nice sake amenity too.

image-909336423.jpg

image-854562516.jpg

image-2403983062.jpg

image-3280268616.jpg

image-3120644442.jpg

image-3805034536.jpg

image-2066266712.jpg

Attached Files:

uggboy and Not Fade Away like this.
  22. Not Fade Away

Not Fade Away Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds great! Did you end up using a Diamond upgrade or did the GM comp you with the suite upgrade?

If you just used the Diamond upgrade, did you feel that by contacting the GM, you got anything you would not have ordinarily gotten?

23. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    I did use the diamond upgrade as I had 4 for my challenge. I am not sure if they would have comped me, but I did get in touch with the hotel before and maintain contact throughout. I think letting them know what you are there for, we were celebrating a pseudo anniversary (this is our 10 year anniversary "year" so we are traveling for this year to celebrate), late birthday (May 1) and early mother's day. So, they sent snacks, drinks and flowers.