PH maldives manipulating award availability

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by ballardFlyer, Nov 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    PH Maldives is blocking all base rooms for at least next 4 months to prevent award redemption.

Widely discussed on FT thread for the hotel and it appears to be a recent change from my monitoring and that of others on FT.

Wish that they weren't gaming the system so I could stay there on my upcoming trip with my SO.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    To be clear, you're saying there are no standard (park villa) rooms available so you can not redeem for that room type, right?

And there's no rooms, or no rooms without searching for X nights minimum?

What drives the conclusion that no park villas available is 'to prevent award redemption' rather than because all of the park villas have been committed (eg sold to guests, sold to tour packages, etc)?

3. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes no standard park villa rooms at all which are required for GP redemption. I called the Diamond line because I thought it was an IT glitch since it changed dramatically just recently. I was told nothing was available for rewards of 4+ days or more for several months. She couldn't really give me a realistic time frame.

But pool villa is available just about every date range I tried online. No sell out messages etc.

This is compared to just a little bit ago when standard rooms were widely available online - this is a recent and pronounced change.

I find it hard to believe that everyone decided to book it up in the last few days out for several months.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess what I am wondering -- since they will not sell these park villa rooms even for cash -- is why we think they are actually available? Has the price of pool villa rooms dropped, so that an entry level room is similarly-priced to what it was before?

If we were speculating about motives I might guess that the inventory wasn't booked by individual travelers, but maybe sold en masse to a Chinese reseller. But that's a guess, not based on knowledge, it just seems at least as plausible as "we will no longer offer our lowest priced rooms for sale, so that we don't have to give them out as awards."

I also don't understand the theory of why they wouldn't be perfectly fine offering the rooms as awards. Remember that (1) if the hotel isn't sold out, they're getting incremental revenue off an award, and not just for the room redemption from Gold Passport but it's not cheap for guests to be on property even just for food!, (2) not being sold out means it really doesn't cost them much to put someone into the room, (3) if the hotel is sold out they get paid a full rate by Gold Passport [my New Years stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome last year cost GP > US$1000/night!]

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess if the awards open back up on January 7th, that would be a pretty good indication they were gaming the system.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    But January 7th is the date on which Gold Passport begins charging more for awards. Gold Passport pays a deeply discounted rate to reimburse hotels for award nights when the hotels are empty, and more or less the prevailing rate when the hotel is full. How would the hotel benefit from Gold Passport charging members more for award nights?

7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    One would assume that if Hyatt is charging more points, that the hotel will be making more money on these award bookings. The difference between 22k and 30k, is 36% or so. Who wouldn't like to get 36% more on their rooms?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually I do not think this is quite right at all.

First, of course, the PH Maldives is not going from category 6 to 7. So the relevant increment is 22k -> 25k points.

Regardless, though, and even if the price in points bore a relationship to the internal reimbursement rate that Gold Passport pays the hotel it would not at all affect the rate the hotel gets when it is sold out. If the hotel expects to sell out (and the months folks are tlaking about seems to be high season) and they do sell out then they'd wind up getting full rate from Gold Passport anyway [regardless of the number of points redeemed].

Separately, there's no reason to suggest that date of reservation rather than date of check-in would be controlling for any increase the hotel may b getting from Gold Passport as a reimbursement for award nights.

Finally, the reimbursement rate the hotel gets isn't going to be based on its category it's going to be based on its room rates anyway. It's Gold Passport that feels the need to charge more points for redemptions, given the rates they are paying out, rather than their charging more points in order to pay out higher rates.

9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps they would rather sell revenue rooms to non-GP diamond members who don't get free breakfast and sundowners so they can make an extra $200 a room night in food & drink charges at least? Only partly joking.

gleff, the rooms could have been sold in bulk but why sell all your rooms in bulk (meaning at a discount) during your "high season" - that doesn't add up IMHO.

Again the room makeup shifted a huge amount in days. Something is off from my view.

viguera likes this.
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    All guests there get free breakfast.

I'm not saying something ISN'T up, just saying we don't have info on which to base that.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point on free breakfast for all - Would have known that if I could have booked a GP redemption this winter ;)

Something seems to be up - FT thread just lit up at the same time my checks and planning went from many rooms to no rooms - it seems more the coincidence.

And selling/discounting in bulk to a reseller during high season doesn't make much sense but maybe it is something along those lines or who knows...?