Petition to abolish the TSA is open on whitehouse.gov

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by DrG, Sep 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DrG
    Original Member

DrG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A petition to abolish the TSA is currently open on the White House website. The petition has me the minimum 5,000 votes but more signatures could not hurt.

Find the petition here: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitio...ted-less-intrusive-counter-terrorism/c7L94bFB

How White House petitions work: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/09/01/we-people-announcing-white-house-petitions-how-they-work

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given feelings about the TSA, this has the potential to go viral.

3. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. However does anyone really think this stands any chance if succeeding?

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure this is going to change things that much. The government already knows we hate the TSA. But if I can comment on one thing: I recently came back from Spain, and I can say that security there is incredibly lax and futile compared to what we have. While I think some things the TSA does are excessive, like the liquids rule and shoes, at least they're trying. The TSA might actually stop someone, whether the risk is as great as they say or not. I would be more concerned about the inbound flights from Europe and other countries, where I could probably get a knife or a bomb by without trying too hard.

5. Given the way that things have been going, I think the best thing we could do to get the TSA replaced would be to write to our congressmen telling them how much we love the program and couldn't get through a single day without them. They probably won't hesitate to jump on the opportunity to piss us off by getting rid of the whole agency all together :)

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem to me is that we all want to abolish the TSA, and the petition says to use funds to do something different. Well, until "something different" is designed and demonstrated to be better, why would they disband the TSA? It would be far more effective if an option was created to compare against the tsa and then argue the merits for replacement.

Besides, if you lay off TSA personnel, there are not enough jobs at McDonalds, wendys and burger king to absorb that kind of talent out flow.

Also would not surprise me if the names on the petition were not cross referenced for additional friendly screening.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've always thought that airport security would be better suited for something like the national guard or coast guard to have jurisdiction over.

PRGN_Legacy likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this would seem to make some more sense. But then again, do you think they could stay serious and vigilant the whole time when 99.999% of the time there's no threat? It's like if your job was to watch TV all day and record how many times someone walks past a black cat. It's just inane work that would dull anyone's senses. If I assigned the National Guard to this, I would put people on in rotation, maybe one or two months at a time, no more than six months a year.

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    it similar to what are armed forces are usually exposed to. 99% training/drills and then the 1% of sheer terror of when called into the line of duty. Though recently, the percentages of "terror" are probably creeping up substantially for a lot of our brave women and men.

Another option would be is to make it a state or city responsibility and assign it to local police and sheriff's forces.

Scottrick likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they could create more moments of "sheer terror" with surprise training exercises at security checkpoints. :D Although I think that would cause delays that would leave me pretty pissed. But I'd enjoy watching the TSOs run around in their response.

11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't sign petitions with the word "kafkaesque" [sic] in them.

12. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been through Spain too and I can't see why their system would be any less effective than ours. "At least trying" is hardly something to live by if there are yet any example of actually stopping plots at the airports, but many examples of failures. For all the crap FBI gets, it's their regular investigative work that has seen some success, not TSA screening my pants yet again. And speaking of lax security, how about any of the regional airports? Or for that matter, Hawaii :)