Petition Thread for Reinstatement of Terminated PLA

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jul 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You've probably seen in other threads that a Private Line Agent was apparently terminated for notifying one or more of the Diamond members under her care about the upcoming (limited) award changes.

While we don't know any details, at first glance it seems to me that the punishment is rather severe for an agent that multiple people here and on FT have described as very helpful and customer-oriented. Those are the agents that this industry needs. This seems to have been a mistake with limited impact, made not out of malice but rather for the benefit of valuable customers.

I thought about sending an email to Jeff Zidell to voice my support for re-evaluating this termination, but maybe we can achieve the same here on MP with a thread instead of filling up his (or GP Concierge's mailbox) with emails.

Personally, I have no PLA assigned to me, so I never interacted with this particular agent. I am generally impressed with the customer service of Hyatt in comparison to the rest of the industry, and I am very disappointed about this event.

I am not looking to increase my "Like" count; if you support this thread's cause, simply reply with a short message. Thank you.

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be amoral when Hyatt would fire the PLA in my humble opinion, have no PLA, because we are Platinums, but in our experiences with Hyatt we had always great responses with them eg. missing points, we found always a fast and friendly solution and resolution fast and efficient. So Hyatt, show some pride in your employees and let them do what they do best!

3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The PLA did not even reveal specific information about which hotels would be increased or decreased in categories, so I think the PLA was trying to provide good customer service to a Diamond member. The agent should continue to be employed.

4. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree.

Pegasus, rharrigill, lwkatya and 3 others like this.
  5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    She is an extremely helpful, knowledgable and friendly agent, the best I've found out there as top tier at multiple programs.

karung99, rharrigill, lwkatya and 3 others like this.
  6. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a draconian penalty for an otherwise good employee!

Pegasus, rharrigill, lwkatya and 3 others like this.
  7. jim5518

jim5518 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also say bring the agent back. Hyatt became what it is today because of great customer service.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    She was the single best customer service agent I have encountered at any hotel or any airline, bar none.

She made a mistake, clearly, vis-a-vis Hyatt policy. But it was a mistake borne out of the best intentions to take care of her customers, she always put her all into her job which is what made her so good and here she made an error in judgment. It turns out to be an error in judgment over a very small piece of information, a few hotel category changes that don't amount to much. She just wanted to make sure the customers assigned to her got their award bookings in.

This is really Hyatt's loss -- losing one of their very best employees, who was better at her job than anyone I've ever come across. And losing the goodwilll she has built up for them with customers. It's a very personal relationship, she was the reason that many people book heavily with Hyatt.

It's sad, I assume this is 'done' and that they won't retrat, but I'm not sure they realize what they've done here. She was an outstanding employee who was doing her best to deliver on what Hyatt had asked of her, she made a mistake on something that turns out to be pretty minor, it would have been a good opportunity for training about Hyatt's sensitivities here. I wish they hadn't let her go, and that they would reconsider.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt's loss.
    While a mistake was committed it was in the interest of providing extraordinary customer service. This is not easy to find. Another hotel chain will benefit greatly from an individual who really cares about the customer.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two sides to every story....it is a pity that the chain cannot tell its side of the story given privacy concerns.

rharrigill, lwkatya, kenbo and 2 others like this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's not really much of an imaginable alternative scenario here. The agent sent an email to the customers she took care of. It included information that Hyatt didn't want her to send out, the information wasn't supposed to go public that way. It was posted online. So Hyatt fired her for it.

No doubt it's a violation of Hyatt's corporate policies. And no doubt they feel it's a rule where they have to enforce zero tolerance.

But it's truly sad that a customer service agent was doing her best to take care of her customers, made a mistake in her efforts to go the extra mile, and it cost her her job. Even when the information wasn't damaging to the company. She really was the best that Hyatt had, her customers loved her, and Hyatt has taken her away from them. It's lamentable, even if as an employer I understand enforcing rules uniformly to protect themselves from lawsuits by other employees that they might enforce similar rules against later.

There's not really different sides here, just a truly sad situation, one that members wish were different.

IDGflygirl, karung99, Pegasus and 6 others like this.
  12. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand Hyatt's side on this.

They had a new program they wanted to announce publicly with a fanfare.

They tell agents in advance both to make sure they know about it when the calls start coming and also so they can warn people who are asking about booking one of the hotels that some changes are upcoming and they better book soon.

And an agent does something that doesn't just hint a new program is coming, but lets details get out publicly early, thereby forcing other people to work extra hours to get it ready to discuss.

Whether it's a firing offense or not, I can't say, but If I were Hyatt, it wouldn't make me a very happy camper

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    No, Hyatt shouldn't have been happy, they weren't ready for this to go public and their employee made a mistake. But I think what many members feel is that they compound the mistake by taking away the best agent that those customers have ever experienced.

14. Very disappointing when you fire your best for something so small.

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were she not so exemplary in her performance in so many ways, Hyatt management might well never have known of the breach of policy. It is her effectiveness itself that helped this to happen. I understand the position from Hyatt management perspective. It is a sad truth that sometimes enthusiastic customers are a source of suspicion from management rather than support. This is a disappointment, one that lessens my inclination to choose Hyatt over other brands. The penalty outweighs any reasonable harm her breach of policy may have done IMO.

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Such a company like Hyatt could get over it and shall be proud, Jesus!!!;):mad: What harm had been done???

17. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the petition. I think it is important to realize and remember that the agent in question has provided exceptional customer service to many of Hyatt's most elite (and presumably highest spending) customers for a long time. Did she do wrong here? From all accounts, it appears so. But management, by all accounts, over-reacted; surely there are many "disciplinary actions" that could have been taken short of an apparent "dismissal with cause".

A step back to breathe and think through the issues logically (and not emotionally) would have resulted in this being a non-story and not the PR mess (and possibly legal mess) it is now becoming.

18. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    She is the only private agent I have worked with, and she was definitely excellent.

She even took the time to send out notification of her job termination out to her clients. I wonder when corporate is going to alert these high value customers that their private line agent is gone.

ryandc99, Pegasus, jmrich1432 and 4 others like this.
  19. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    With this many people speaking out on her behalf, surely some, if not all, have passed along their praise and appreciation to her manager at some point during the working relationship. Hyatt had to know what kind of an employee they were dealing with.

If there's a zero tolerance policy, then that's the end of it. The decision may have been swift but that does not mean Hyatt execs were happy to do it. Who really wants to give up a good employee? It is just an unfortunate situation all around.

With that said, I hope that something can be worked out somehow to bring this person back. I didn't work with her but I understand the value that exceptional customer service can bring and individuals who can make that connection with their customers are special.

ryandc99, Pegasus, jmrich1432 and 4 others like this.
  20. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm very upset to hear about this, I hope Hyatt will reconsider her termination. If not, then I hope she will speedily find a job and become an asset at another company, it'll be Hyatt's loss.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Folks... Can we leave this thread to its intended purpose, please.... To represent a petition. I'd rather not see this turn into a debate on whether Hyatt can or will change their stance... or why they shouldn't (trust me, having managed people at a company larger than Hyatt, I am familiar with the corporate and HR side of this as well). FT and MP threads often have reports about horrible customer service agents and other front-line employees, and we frequently see calls for having them reprimanded or fired. Here's someone who by all accounts was an excellent agent (and furthered loyalty of customers towards Hyatt), and I feel it's our duty to not be silent. Thank you for your understanding.

22. lwkatya

lwkatya Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really hope Hyatt will reconsider....

23. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It appears to me she was only trying to take care of her customers, which is what this industry needs more of.

24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hope so too and it would be the right thing to do for Hyatt!:confused:

25. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I was thinking too! The right thing!;)