Petition for Gold Milepoint Status Round 1

Discussion in 'Talk To Me' started by JALPak, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Please vote for the MP members you believe is Gold worthy (select as many members as you want)

1. ACMM

45.0%
  2. Chimpy

62.5%
  3. Cholula

50.0%
  4. Gargoyle

72.5%
  5. Kaanapali

35.0%
  6. KIXman

35.0%
  7. milchap

42.5%
  8. MSPeconomist

45.0%
  9. sobore

35.0%
  10. Tinkerer

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Below are the links to the member profiles:
    ACMM
    Chimpy
    Cholula
    Gargoyle
    Kaanapali
    KIXman
    milchap
    MSPeconomist
    sobore
    Tinkerer

Please choose as many members as you like. Votes will be publicly displayed.

Remarks:
    1. Voting is non-binding. MP administration has not endorsed this petition thread. This is simply a way to gather information and show MP administration which members the community thinks is Gold worthy.

2. This is how I select these 10 members. In the Nominations for Gold Milepoint membership thread, there are 9 members who have more than 1000 SP have been nominated. And I add the member who currently has the highest number of like count that I know of to the list to make it 10. Those are the criteria I used.

3. I do not claim this is fair to everyone. If you are not in the list, I am sorry. If this goes well, we can have a round 2. Hey you can do a self-nomination in that thread too if you want :p

2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I really think we shouldn't be focused on status. The status and trophies should serve only to encourage building a great site; since they are not transparent, it leads to a lot of natural speculation, but it's getting us sidetracked.

Yes, the status system and algorithm are somewhat broken and need a fix, and as a result it has become counterproductive; some of the most egregious of the post padding and such have driven people away. We've already sent the message to The Powers That Be that we all feel they, the experts in loyalty systems, have designed a flawed system.

This has now become a distraction. I'd rather we drop the subject and get back to the main purpose of milepoint.

3. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree....and while I appreciate being included with such company.....I think the whole status thing is becoming a sideshow that threatens to overshadow what MP is supposed to be.

Accordingly, I would either like to be dropped from this pool...or if that is impossible to do with the current editing software....I would ask that no one vote for me. TPTB will make their own decision in time at their discretion.

flyingdawg, lin821, GoodBoy and 5 others like this.
  4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the quote from Gargoyle. We do need clarification on the criteria for gold status and I hope that Randy responds soon to the thread asking for the criteria for allocation of gold status.
    Please do not vote for me.While flattered by the nomination, I decline....
    Now back to the task to building community and content. The IT stuff I leave to Randy and the gang. :D

flyingdawg, lin821, GoodBoy and 4 others like this.
  5. CdnTraveller
    Original Member

CdnTraveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see the "gold member" issue as not so much "status" as an acknowledgement that these people are going above and beyond, helping newbies and the initiated alike, and always showing the kind of welcoming and positive attitude that everyone is hoping will distinguish MP.

Tim O'Brien, DanJ, savydog and 4 others like this.
  6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    You guys haven't declined the nomination in the nomination thread and now decline it here :confused:Sorry the software doesn't allow me to change the poll.

It's not meant to be a distraction, I simply try to make it easier to gather the data from the nomination thread.

jbcarioca and Chimpy like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with much of what has been posted already. Status upgrades will happen for all as we continue to build content and contribute. The more important thing than a status label is that we have so many high quality people on this site. We are all fortunate and benefit from folks like ACMM, Chimpy. Cholula. Gargoyle, JALPak, Kaanapali, KIXman, milchap, MSPeconomist, and Tinkerer, yet there are many others to be admired not mentioned.
    Most of these folks took accountability to act as guides before the official title ever came out, and are really just that.
    This thread is a very nice sentiment to the community and I feel as though we have all won, status or not. :)

flyingdawg, lin821, GoodBoy and 6 others like this.
  8. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I agree with you Gargoyle as mentioned before, we've survived without statuses before so I think we can survive a while without them again and put them aside and focus on building this new forum rather than trying to work out and fix this problem. That being said congratulations to all those who have Gold status already.

I am pretty sure judging by the several forum posts and threads on this topic that admins are aware of your concerns.

flyingdawg, lin821, GoodBoy and 2 others like this.
  9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they will give us their views on this subject.

Chimpy likes this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    While I admire the contributions of all the members on the list, I am leary of making MP a popularity contest. It really doesn't need to be that complicated. All we need to do is ask questions, supply answers and have fun along the way.

My hat is off to those who volunteer their time and services as guides, to keep the joint SPAM-free and friendly.

P.S., it looks like Gargoyles latest face-lift fell. :( I trust it wasn't too painful. ;)

11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As with many to most—I'm all for just spending time increasing our knowledge of miles and points or helping others increase the same. And as well enjoying the social aspect that will naturally come from positive views of our members work in this area.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fantastic sentiment! Couldn't agree more!

13. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really want Gold Status, I will trade my status for an iPad2!

Tim O'Brien, JALPak, Tenmoc and 3 others like this.
  14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Westsox. I had far too many posts and likes (more than zero) to have had a chance to win the ipad. :D

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will quote master milepoint guide Simon from another thread to reply this. :)

GoodBoy likes this.
  16. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    What was the criteria used that elevated you to Gold status?

17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me? I believe mine is solely based on status points without manual intervention. After that we suspect they withhold further Gold awards and therefore brought out a lot of discussions on this forum and I am not going to repeat the arguments here. This is simply a way to organize data in the nomination thread and nothing more :)

18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consistency is the best policy. If status points was good enough to attain Gold for you, it should be good enough for all.

FriendlySkies, GoodBoy, deant and 5 others like this.
  19. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    This whole ‘Status’ thing is Junior High School stuff IMHO.

I dislike all such things, but clearly some others enjoy them.

I know it was the main reason I have not visited here for a month or so, as it seemed like a bunch of enthusiastic teens were running around in the first few days, mutually high fiving each other, and yabbering excitedly. And coaxing “likes” instead of useful info. :eek:

Rather than adding any decent Miles and Points data and info that is needed for any site to survive.

I made well over 30,000 posts on FT, and none of them in mindless “counting back from 3 million” threads, and boards to survive and grow need regular posters on miles and points, not back-slapping “likes” junkies!

Glen

torbster, Tim O'Brien, deant and 2 others like this.
  20. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A shame that this post was not adding any "decent Miles and Points data" to the site. ;)

GoodBoy, lin821, Mangy and 11 others like this.
  21. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    A worthy list, I even briefly researched my vote for those I did not know immediately. 80% fluff/20% content would probably be a favorable description of my posts yet I am worthy and these others are not? :confused:

GoodBoy, Tenmoc, DanJ and 3 others like this.
  22. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting comment !
    I was wondering if social thread posting members building community were not disadvantaged in the award of gold membership.

Mangy, DanJ and Chimpy like this.
  23. DanJ
    Original Member

DanJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly how I feel about my own "promotion".

GoodBoy, Mangy, Horse and 1 other person like this.
  24. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its from switching from the Builder to the Cascades that got it.

GoodBoy, Mangy, milchap and 1 other person like this.
  25. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you're totally overthinking this, but hey whatever floats your boat ;)

GoodBoy, Gaucho and lin821 like this.