Personal Items that fit "under the seat in front of you" reccomendations

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by nonstopski, Feb 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorta down to these two bags:

Patagonia Transport Shoulder Bag 26L: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/transport-shoulder-bag-26-liter?p=49440-0

Tom Bihn Pilot Bag: http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/pilot.html

I picked these two for size, looks, and features.

My needs:

1. fit under the seat in front of me for most US domestic travel, even in Coach.
    2. Be able to slip on to my roller bag handle (both bags above do)

What I usually pack in this sort of bag:

- 15" Inch Macbook Pro Retina (thin, but yes a bit wider than a 13" laptop) Laptop
    - laptop charger, phone/tablet charger
    - Couple magazines or book
    - Boarding pass, etc.
    - Nexus 7 tablet (similar to ipad Mini size)
    - Bose QuietComfort Headphones (this is important because these always are tough to fit because of how deep the case is)
    - Random items that may have not fit in my larger roll aboard or, if needed, checked bag
    - Water bottle and/or snack

I point out the Bose headphones because when I use my current personal item (a Thule bookbag), they don't fit great, and the book bag is tough to get (items end up going to the bottom of the bookbag, very hard to get!)

Current dilemma: The Tom Bihn bag seems more geared towards the kinds of items I am packing, while I like the Patagonia clam shell and book style openings of two of its packs.

One of my biggest current issues is I use a bookbag for under the seat storage. Not only is it a little too big to fit sideways, but it's impossible to get anything out of it in the main compartment because it's narrow and obviously only the top part of the bag opens up. So it becomes a bit of a disorganized mess. It's also just not made as specifically for the kind of items I'm packing, other than a laptop sleeve and an easy access pocket on top for keys/phone/passport.

My worry with the Tom Bihn is that because its main compartment doesn't open clam shell or book style I might feel the same way. Then again, with other multiple compartments that are more useful than my bookbags, and a much "shorter" bag, these same issues seem less prevalent in the Tom Bihn.

I also can't tell if that Patagonia bag would be too big for under the seat storage. I did see a review on eBags that said it would fit.

I'm also interested in other bags if folks have any recommendations!

Newscience likes this.
  2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    My list of items in my bag is the exact same as yours, minus the tablet, probably.

I can't stand shoulder bags for trips because my shoulder ends up hurting, so I've been using just a North Face backpack instead. It slightly sticks out of the bottom of the seat, though.

I'm trying to minimize the crap I bring on flights with me, I would also take recommendations if they have a bag that doesn't hurt my neck/shoulders after a period of time :p

Newscience likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think better shoulder straps help... I've heard good things about Tom Bihn's $20 strap. But who knows. It really depends how you have it on your shoulder. I usually try to put it across my back side or front side instead of just one side of my body. But this is also why I like the idea of also having the backpack option. I normally would probably do that or slide it on top of my roller. But my ski trips require a lot of gear... and make a shoulder strap pretty key (ski boot bag is on back, roller bag and skis in hands -if I'm lucky/pack smart!(

4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had my High Sierra Elite backpack for 2-3 years, and have found it to be a great for transporting laptop computers - I often travel with two laptops - along with just about everything else I need for immediate access during travel. These backpacks are listed for @$110-$90 at various outlets (bringing the cost to about as much as your Patagonia). Importantly, it has well-cushioned straps, a very well-cushioned back piece section (for computers), and also another "Airflow" cushion on the outside back-of-the-bag, that serves as a catch-all that fits on the handle of most rolling suitcases. The best part is that I had bought it at Costco, where, IIRC, it cost @$60 on sale!

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this bag from TImbuk2 and I LOVE IT. I can do a long weekend almost anywhere with just it. And for longer trips it will slide on to the top of a rolling bag just fine.

wayferapp and Sammich like this.
  7. wayferapp

wayferapp Member

Status Points:
    nonstopski we like the GoRuck GR1 - it's a backpack that fits in underneath seat-storage, has a separate, interior laptop sleeve, and is built really tough (given its military-based origins) but is very comfortable. Also there's a lifetime guarantee on normal wear and tear of the product effectively - check out more on their website. I've really enjoyed it and it's much better to carry being a backpack.

wanderingaramean - big fan of your recommendation too

8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Love the GR1 as well!. Have done 2 weeks of travel out of that bag no problem. Fits anywhere.

wayferapp likes this.
  9. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the Everki Versa backpack. It has fit under the seat on all the planes I have been on. It holds a ton of stuff as well as checkpoint friendly.

Sean Colahan likes this.