Personal Highlights from AA 20 YR & 25 Yr Promos

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by SuzanneSLO, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SuzanneSLO
    Original Member

SuzanneSLO Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA 20 year anniversary promo is probably what started my hobby of collecting FF miles. The 20 partners for 20K promo was fun and easier than I though it would be (thanks to online message baords). I loved that I switched a conference reservation at a hotel (which would not earn points) to a weekend rate that would earn points just so I could get another partner and ended up saving my company money as well.

From the 25th anniversay, the promo I remember was for AAdvanatge eshopping: spend soem crazy amount online in one day (I think it was $2500??) and earn $25K bonus miles. We ended up buying a Home Depot gift card and my husband enjoyed using it for months to spruce up the house. Except when he is seated in 1st class, this may have been the first time he enjoyed the benefits that come from my hobby!

So, what do you remember most? -- Suzanne

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  2. Pete
    Original Member

Pete Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I was already a mileage junkie when the 20-20 promo ran, that's probably the one that cemented it for me. 20K + bonuses in each of 6 family accounts, with very little cash outlay.

The current 30th annniversary promo doesn't look to be nearly as interesting.

3. GeneCMH
    Original Member

GeneCMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. A bit of yawn so far. But there's 28 more days to go. I'm sure AA won't disappoint, too much ;)

4. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a bit crazy, but what sealed the deal for me on the 20/20 promo: 9/11. I was stuck in Minneapolis/St Paul, so I had the opportunity to add Hyatt and Marriott as partners over the following weekend, and then signing up for the BMG Music Club boosted me to 20 partners.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember a promo in [1996] that awarded 25k miles for accruing miles from [5] different sources: ie: aa flight, partner airline, hotel, car rental, flowers, etc, in a 30 or 60 day time frame. I made it, so did a number of my friends. Though I was always aware of the value of miles, the ability to 'do tricks' and get a bunch more was driven home by that promo.

My gf (at the time) and I both did the tricks...and redeemed Y tickets for LGA-ORD(stop)-SAN(stop)-JFK. All for free!?!? Who could believe it? ;)

6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet again, here's a promo I can't believe I missed. I really came to the mileage hunt too late . . . but I guess it always feels that way.