Personal Goals

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by MissBurrill, May 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our group has achieved some amazing goals but I believe we also need personal goals. My first thought was to match the average loans per member for this group. But with having credited 4 loans to the MP group, I only need two more to match the current group average of 5.7. I can't afford to match new loans on a dollar-for-dollar basis nor to loan every week. But I'm confident I can loan monthly. Which day of the month to do my loans was the next question. I could keep it easy and make it the 1st but I decided on the 12th because that's my birthday. My pledge to this group is to make a loan each month on the 12th for the next year. My first one will be the 12th of June.

Who else has a personal goal? Who would like to join me in making a loan a month for the next year?

YULtide, TravelMusing, Toula and 4 others like this.
  2. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had some since the start. My first was to get my number of loans above the Kiva average. Then I decided to get everything on that 'average' list above the Kiva amount so I made an effort to recruit new members.

My on-going goal is to add at least 1 new loan a month, above any that are possible through reloaning. So if I get $30.15 in repayments, at a minimum I add another $19.85 to it and loan it out. If I can do more in a given month I do, but I always add at least a little bit to my balance.

I normally make new loans on the 15th in conjunction with the repayments so I can get every cent of my balance back out to borrowers as quick as possible.

YULtide, TravelMusing, Toula and 6 others like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice suggestions.

As much as I very much enjoy being part of teams (first flyertalk and now MP), personal goals have always been my prime motivation with Kiva.

#1 for me is to connect with each person/group I loan to. Usually I do a moment of prayer with each loan and another when each loan is fully repaid.

# 2 for me is always to be grateful for each opportunity to make a loan and for repayment. When I was child my father's business was mortgage loans. So, in some ways this is in my blood. Some of the money I loan came from him directly or indirectly. So, I enjoy this recycling process.

When I started with Kiva a year ago my first goal was to make a loan in every country Kiva offered loans. I reached that after some months, and have now made loans to 48 countries. I've probably missed one or two countries in recent months as I have branched out into other goals.

About six months ago I shifted into making short term loans (six months or less). I did this because I enjoy the process of making loans and being paid back. This has allowed me to cycle thru lots of loan making (134 to date). But my total of loans outstanding is now just under $1000 which is where I intend to keep it for the foreseeable future.

I also have a preference for agricultural and food-related loans, because those have long been areas of interest and caring for me. I'm not exclusive, though as the other criteria are also important to me.

Now my goals are a combination all three, and I've raised my loan time line to 12 months.

I'm also continuing to learn about micro-lending. jbcarioca has shared a lot about the creditworthiness of the various Kiva partners, and I am now incorporating that criteria into my loan-making as well. Fortunately Kiva has lots and lots of loans available now (more than I have seen in the past year), so it is easy to have multiple loan criteria.

4. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems you have a very good plan here, rehoult!
    Adding one or two loans above those possible through reloaning ensures you will expand your portfolio quite quickly, and it is also a good idea to make those loans on or after the 15th of every month, as most of the repayments seem to happen around that date.

My goal for June is to bring my outstanding loan amount to at least $1,000.

5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    One of my personal goals was met during May -- to have loaned 100 times. Next goal ... 200 loans.

My overall goal remains the same — as a Founder of milepoint, be as supportive as I can be with the efforts of our members in the milepoint FlyForward program. For May, we are handing out more than $5,000 in Kiva gift cards and two iPads on behalf of the Kiva Lending Team in addition to other charity contributions on behalf of milepoint.

6. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Oz it's the 12th of June. I just made a loan.

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just added my 50th country - Congo.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I started mending with Kiva my goals were to reach 500 loans, with a goal for portfolio size also. I wanted to do that while having a delinquency rate of less than 1.5% and no losses. This morning I made my 501st loan, so i have met that goal and need a new one. The goal for portfolio size I should make within the next month or so. My delinquency rate is now 0.14% and I have had no losses.

My biggest goal was to do everything I could to help milepoint and the Kiva team to grow. All of you have made that goal happen. Now we have challenges to meet all our goals for June!

Of my five delinquencies, three are from the same Field Partner in Cambodia. Those of you who have read my credit risk comments will be aware that I recommended against leading in the precise conditions that I did in Cambodia. Thus, I knew better and did it anyway. These three loans may cure, but I have not made loans through that Field Partner since TOBB team, more than a year ago.

So, time is ripe for new goals. I need to make them for myself, and we need them for our team too.

Thank you, MissBurrill, for making this thread.

9. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the honourable mention. I normally receive dishonourable mentions on boards.

10. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for starting this thread as it gives me food for thought as to what direction I would like to take my Kiva loans.

This month my husband and I made our 197th loan. I had always tried to donate to anyone involved in education or health. The other thing that has always interested me is organic farming. However, loans in these categories are few and far between.

So my goal for the remainder of the year (can only focus on 1 year at a time), is to put an additional $50 into Kiva loans a month, plus reloan any amounts repaid. I intend to build up my investment in Kiva to $1,000.

I am also going to try and get a better balance between males and females as well as my casual observation is that is seems as if the female loans get funded quicker. Each month I want to do a breakdown evenly between the sexes and will try to loan to a different country, that is no country will get all my money every month.

11. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Oz it's the morning of the 12th. I just made my loan and credited it to Milepoint.

Now to finish getting ready for work.

12. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to admit that I did not make my goal in June, but will certainly make it this month!

13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I made more loans in June than I ever had in any month- probably because it was not my goal to do so. I just let it happen spontaneously!

14. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... a little late, but today I did it :)

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just completed one of my two major goals yesterday and am working on the other one this week.

It is very nice to see the new members and the increasing activity of the existing members. This team is an excellent place to be!

16. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today I reached one of my other goals - time to set new ones :)

Next month will see a LOT of repayments, which of course will go straight back to new loans.

17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed that I've reached some nice round numbers:
    $5000 lent out (that's my overall total since I begain with Kiva)
    100 loans paid back

And I still have some loan repayments sitting in my account, so more loans coming soon.............

18. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not bad, miles and smiles!

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is good going miles and smiles! I hope your next stage is as happy as this one has been! It is great to be on the team with you.

20. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I woke at 5:38 this morning and realised I had forgot to make a loan on the 12th. I couldn't fall back to sleep so I made some coffee and have been browsing loans. I found one and yes I'm a day late on my pledge (although it's still the 12th in other parts of the world) but I have made my next loan.

21. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is still the 12th where I am so you clearly made your pledge!!

22. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your thinking!

23. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Kiva is now lending in Turkey, so I have added country #54 to my portfolio.

24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was happy to see that too.

25. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember to check your Kiva accounts tomorrow :)

YULtide, TravelMusing, kiwi and 5 others like this.