perhaps a no brained, but be kind......

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by sophiegirl, Aug 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning a quick 2-3 day trip, was initially tourist only, now thinking maybe a little more romantic...

Chicago.....the Hyatt downtown is available for about $130, the Park Hyatt for about $350. I have available suite upgrades I could use.

I have never stayed at a Park Hyatt...is this location worth the extra $220 per? It gets excellent reviews, but so does the Hyatt. I know Park Hyatts are generally superior to Hyatts, but I have also read some less than stellar reviews on various Park properties.

I don't mind spending the money, but want it to be worth the money. :)

Help appreciated...

PS - should be no braineR.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Park Hyatts often get very good reviews from high-status Hyatt regulars (if you stay at other Hyatt brands regularly, you're sure to be impressed at a PH), but they are far less well extolled by those who frequent different flagged luxury hotel.

If you've never stayed at a PH, you should do it once...this one will be significantly nicer than the regular Hyatt in Chicago's CBD. If you do go for it, you should definitely use your suite upgrade coupons, too.

A trip report would be welcome if you do it!

kenbo likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Chicago Hyatt (Regency? still?) is a big convention hotel (although one of the better ones IMO) on the edge of the downtown central business district. The area is somewhat dead on weekends. I like the North Michigan ares much better for a leisure trip, with interesting good restaurants and stores, plus you're close to the "beach." I last saw a Chicago Hyatt suite about five years ago and at that time, most of them were pretty ordinary with small bathrooms and nothing very special, except for the "named" suites, some of which are huge. Some of the regular suite seemed to be ordinary connecting rooms with one of the rooms furnished with a sofa and a few chairs rather than a bed. I would not want to stay in the Hyatt Regency when there's a big convention group unless I were part of that convention.

4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Chicago Hyatt Regency is definitely ill suited for a romantic vacation. It is a massive convention hotel and while I have had adequate stays there, I would never choose it for a vacation. Simply too impersonal for my taste. The Park Hyatt is great, and breakfast at NoMi is a great way to start your days on vacation. As a Diamond, you will usually be upgraded to a nice enough room - the times I have used suite upgrades, I have been given suites which were really nice but on lower floors so didnt make for great views.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    despite excellent reviews, $220+ per is going to buy me & the Mrs quite a bit of romantic elsewhere (dinners, theater tickets, etc). I wouldn't spend it.

Enjoy Chicago, what a great city !!

6. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm....all excellent comments, lots to think on, thanks.

uggboy likes this.
  7. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only stayed in the PH in downtown Chicago, but I have stayed at three other Hyatts in the greater Chicago area: O'Hare, Rosemont, and Woodfield. Compared to those three, I'd say the PH is definitely worth the difference. You should know, however, that I am one of those folks who is sort of a hotel fanatic.

uggboy likes this.