People watching, gate change at DFW- humor

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by flymeAAway, Jun 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. flymeAAway

flymeAAway Active Member

Status Points:
    My favorite people watching is a gate and terminal change at DFW on an already delayed flight. It is hilarious to watch neophyte passengers on the run from the old gate to the new one. It's like watching an episode of the Amazing Race.

They jog to get to the escalator and then decide to run the stairs to beat the line for the escalator all the while carrying their multiple 50 pound carry-on bags. Once they get to skylink they stake out their acreage with their elbows until they get pushed further and further back in the train wedged like a sardine. Elbows firmly pinned against themselves and realizing they will now be they last to get out of the train car.

Funny how it takes 30 minutes to load a plane but a skylink train can be loaded with a full MD-80 passenger load in just 3 minutes. :D The existing train riders are stunned as if they are witnessing a flash mob.

When the train arrives it is like they have opened the gates in Pamplona for the running of the bulls. People rush out looking back at their competition looking for an edge. Do I go right or left to get to the gate. Do I take the escalator, stairs, elevator. I literally see roller-boards lift off their wheels and become airborne.

Now it gets serious as the mob sees the new gate and the fast walkers are now more of a jog. Those passengers with roller-boards are at a severe disadvantage as they are being held back by their luggage that just wont roll any faster. People cut through other gate areas or behind a row of chairs for a 3 second edge to arrive first at the gate.

A startled GA looks up as people are catching their breath and announces it will be 30 minutes until we board as we are awaiting aircraft from the hanger. A big sigh from the group as they are now dropping their baggage to the ground strategically placed to protect their new real-estate. Elbows back up as well.

About 10 minutes later the flight crew arrives snaking their way to the front of the line chuckling along the way as to what they just witnessed and cracking jokes as they wait for the plane to arrive. It gets better as the GA is frustrated she cant get to her multiple wheel chairs pre-boarded and has everyone clear a line from left of the priority boarding sign.

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. This is EASILY solved by preceding gate change announcements with "since we know the flight is delayed and changing gates, you will have time to get to the new gate - there is no need to run or worry" or somesuch. But it is funny to watch.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, not sure I see what's so funny about this.

If you apply the 80/20 rule of an average aircraft's load, it makes sense.

Then again, the way you pen your story makes me feel some of it is embellished or you are among the people you mock.

4. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heavens, do you think so?

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was good writing. A good description of an all too common scene.

My one nit? It's a roll-aboard, not roller board.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

DCtrAAveler likes this.