Pearl Harbor - Reserve online

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by kellio, Apr 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can now reserve your Pearl Harbor tour time online. :)

Tours are still free but there is a 1.50 per ticket surcharge.

Choose your time, arrive 1 hour prior to your tour time to pick up your tickets or they will be released.

www.recreation.gov

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing. This is great news. It was inconvenient to have to wait three+ hours for tours.

(I fully recognize the inconvenience pales in comparison to the sacrifices made at the site some 60 years ago...though there was no point to the current wait wait wait system)

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The potential for the wait has always annoyed me in the past. Looks like I can take this approach on my next trip and finally actually get out to the memorial.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was out there in January it wasn't that bad... I heard about people showing up at 6AM or whatever but we got there around 11, and other than the parking being an issue (had to park far and walk) it wasn't really all that bad.

We went straight for the ticket booth and found out we had a 45 minute wait, which wasn't too bad since we could just walk around for a bit before going for the shuttle boat.

But either way, reserving online and will-call at the booth is always more convenient... The convenience fee should also help avoid no-shows.

wrxmom likes this.
  5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do go. It's very much worth the effort.

viguera likes this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went last month and it was great. I reserved our tickets online about a month and a half in advance. We had the 8:15am tour. The park opened at 7 and we were there at 7. We got a great parking spot and were in the park within 15 minutes. We started our audio tour until it was time to board the shuttle.

It was nice going early in the morning on our first day because we were still on Chicago time anyways. Parking was good too! Reserve online ahead of time. It is worth it.

viguera and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had forgotten about this thread until I saw it bumped up just now. It was absolutely worth going.

[​IMG]

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    About to book this...should I just do the AZ or is it worth doing the Passport program (all 4 museums)?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I also did the submarine while I was there and I enjoyed it. I do have the photos and videos from that around somewhere. I didn't have time to do the other bits. It is a long day to do it all and the concessions situation out there is rather dire. One person commenting on my blog post about it said the concessions were better at the other locations but I don't know first-hand.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO doing everything is a stretch, but it depends on your situation... there's a lot of history there, so if you're a buff you'll enjoy it. On the other hand if you're bringing kids or anything of the sort it can be tough. Between the sub, walking around and the Arizona you're looking at a few hours easy.

11. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely worth doing all four. Initially we just booked Pearl Harbor since dh couldn't decide. Our kids are teenagers and while it wasn't "the best time of their lives" they enjoyed it and had to be dragged out of the Bowfin. :)

12. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed! You don't get tot go to some place like this every day. Then again, I am a history teacher so I am a little biased...;)