PDA With Timzone Shift

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by misman, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. AZ has a PDA that is giving her fits with timezones.

Background: We transit between AZ (Mountain Time w/no DST) and NM (Mountain Time w/DST) on a regular basis. Mrs. AZ uses Outlook (showing two timezones) to track medical appointments in both places. Since both timezones show on Outlook, she can easily set up the appointments based on where the appointment is.

She had a Palm that did ok until the meetings started piling up, and now she is back to just a written calendar.

She doesn't want a phone or anything fancy... just a PDA that can synch with Outlook and will maintain the timezone shift. Is there anything out there that will easily track this?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I have found. I have that problem with four different time zones. I have ended out keeping four different calendars with different names. None seem to manage the multiple time zone task. I hope there is a solution somewhere. It would make my life much easier. I have had the problem for over 40 years but now it is becoming worse because of all the technology we use every day. [​IMG]

3. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Microsoft needs to look at this further. I get my work schedule via an Outlook calendar. For example it is scheduled "all day" Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. However, company headquarters are in the Mountain time zone while I live in Eastern. So, by the time I see it, it shows 2 AM on Tuesday to 2 AM on Friday and it looks like Friday is a work day for me when it isn't.

4. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    She could try Google calendar. There is a swap timezone setting that works for me. Other is just manually over ride the time zone.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use Google calendar, it works fine for managing fixed times when I move but cannot accomodate multiple zones for appointments and reconcile them all to where I am. Am I missing something? I hope so.

6. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And... it is *not* a PDA (like a palm, etc.)

7. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same problem with a blackberry and BES / Outlook. Travelling to another timezone the device even switches some of my meetings to other times when it detects the local network time. Horrible! There must be a way to configure everything in a way that you don't get a problem.

8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    One work around is to turn off network time and manually set the time zone to your location. I was doing this until I found the Google calendar swap. I enter the time at in my normal Eastern time zone and then swap the time zone in Google. Google also lets you enter the correct timezone when you enter appointment.

ralfkrippner likes this.
  9. ralfkrippner
    Original Member

ralfkrippner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that tip - I would have never come to that simple solution nor did I know that you could switch network time off. Just did it - thanks! Google will probably not work for me as we use BES / Outlook company wide and I need all the features it has.