PayPal/Meeting Minimum Spend Question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Gacspeech, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I'm a complete newbie and I have a quick question. I just picked up a British Airways Chase CC and I'm wondering if I use it to add money to PayPal (to make a purchase on Ebay), that counts as a purchase, correct? So it would count it toward meeting my minimum spend? This would be actual spending (rather than manufactured spending), right, since I will be buying a new camera lens?

Maybe it's too early in the morning for my brain to be working, but for some reason, this is confusing me. Thanks for any help you can give me.

:)

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi again,

Apparently I need to buy some coffee and a coffee pot this morning too in addition to the camera lens.

So, I just looked at Paypal and it looks like I can only add money to my account using a checking account or the Green Dot cards? Is this right? You can't load PayPal with a credit card (for eBay purchases)? I haven't used PayPal in years, so I'm not sure? This will be a real bummer, since I specifically waited to get my BA credit card in the mail to make the purchase.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? My local CVS does NOT allow use of credit cards to purchase the Green Dots.

I realize, depending upon the eBay auction, I can pay directly with a credit card, but that makes me nervous for some reason - I figured with PayPal, it's a little more secure? Am I correct in thinking that?

Thank You for any tips you can give.

marcwint55 and Mapsmith like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have made hundreds of PayPal transactions using various credit cards.

4. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, it's been a while for me too but I always saw Paypal as a front end for my credit card. Paypal allowed me to pay anybody with my credit card. Now depositing into your Paypal acct you have to use a checking acct. from what I remember.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

You don't need to "load" your PayPal Account with a credit card to make purchases. Just link the Credit Card to the Paypal account. When you check out,. select the Credit Card that you want to use to pay for the item and Paypal will charge that card directly.

marcwint55 and miles and smiles like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once you are on the My Account page, put your cursor over "Profile"
    The scroll down and click on "Update Card"
    Then, on your "Debit and Credit Cards" page, click on "Add a Card"
    Then enter in your credit card info.
    Then, when you make a purchase on Ebay, click to pay with PayPal and PayPal will already have your credit card info.

Mapsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Bob!

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Paypal is as safe as you can get. You should also look into Amazon payments, as you can send $1000.00 per month with your credit card at no charge. The money can be sent to a friend, spouse etc. as long as they also have an amazon payments acct. The money can then be withdrawn to a bank acct at no charge.

Mapsmith likes this.
  9. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Once again, I get the best answers from the nicest people!!!

Thanks guys - the directions for linking my CC is exactly what I needed.

And now a question about Amazon payments. I actually need to pay my Mom back some money she lent me towards purchasing my townhouse (it was a temporary bridge loan). If we both set up an Amazon Payments account, can she get actual money back, like in her checking account? Or, does it just get put into amazon gift certificates or something?

miles and smiles likes this.
  10. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I really need to start drinking coffee apparently. I just saw the answer to my own question in the response above by marcwint55!

Thanks for the answers everyone!

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few thoughts about PayPal - We all, that use eBay to buy stuff, are required to use PayPal to pay. But to pay, there are a couple options, as mentioned above. Ok, PayPal is about 'as safe' as mentioned above to pay, but to back that up, and make it much more safe, pay PayPal with a CC.
    When paying with PayPal, the default screen is pay PayPal via your verified checking account. Click fast and the $$ are withdrawn from your account as fast as you clicked, and there is no going back. In small print, on that page, is the use other methods, option. click that one, and it will take you to a pay with CC option, BUT the default of that page just happens to be - pay with your verified checking account. Click fast, and, as I mentioned above, the funds are withdrawn from your account as fast as you clicked. The thing to do there is read the screen, select 'pay with credit card', make sure that is what you have selected, then once you are sure, click the payment method.
    The advantage, you ask? Well PayPal is then dependent on your CC to pay them, and if I had to choose who I want to handle the funds in the end, I choose my CC provider. 2nd - you get your miles, or points that way too, and you don't when paying with your verified checking account.
    Main rule, click the first payment screen, get your hand off that mouse and read. Understand the options, click what you want, and get your hand off that mouse and read. Next, understand the options, click what you want, and get your hand off that mouse and read. Using PayPal is not a one screen to pay procedure, and not a one size fits all.
    My final advise for a PayPal verified checking account, where they want you to pay from is, Keep about $11.01 (Or So) in it, so that if you really want your CC to be the payment option, and your amount due on eBay exceeds that, PayPal is going to your backup payment method to get their $$. And after asking you two or three times to get the $$ into your verified account, so they can be paid, they will automatically go to your back up funding. Which just happens to be my CC. Points, Miles, and :)

12. Morkal

Morkal Member

Status Points:
    I think you can purchase by using another credit card but you have to connect it with your account first and than you can pay on any site.