PayPal Here for Manufactured Spending

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by vickers, Mar 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this thread already exists, but has anyone used Paypal Here for Manufactured Spend? Basically, you can accept credit card payments for goods and services by swiping a credit card. Can I swipe my credit card to put funds in my PayPal account?

Thanks.

2. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    You lose 2.7% off the top in fees, but yeah ... you can do it until you get shut down.

vickers likes this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would I be safer if I swiped my credit card into my wife's PayPal account, or would that cause an issue too?

4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not if they catch you. If it's your own card in the same name as the name on your PayPal account then it's automatically rejected. If you're more clever -- e.g. use your spouse's card -- they might not catch on right away, but it is against their terms of service. Besides, at 2.7% it's not a great deal for manufactured spend.

Ed Chandler and vickers like this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Just trying to find other options if I cannot make my minimum spend, since I didnt have luck with the Vanilla Reload.

6. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Minimum spend on which card?

7. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I wouldn't jump to things like this right away. No one seems to know exactly what is going on with CVS exactly (not until tomorrow I guess) and Gift Cards might still be in play which is a much better option.

vickers likes this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got the citi hilton reserve card. But this is my first min spend card so I'm using it to test the waters and seeing what options I have.

9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hada failed attempt to purchase vanilla reloads. Today I made my first attempt to purchase the Vanilla Reload at CVS in Alabama with my new Citi Hilton Reserve Credit. I found the Vanilla Reload card and went to the register. I know the guy who was ringing me up and he said he would try it for me. When I swiped my card, the screen on my terminal read "Transaction requires different payment method" or something like that. He asked for the card and tried to swipe it on his end. Same message on his screen. About 5 minutes later, I got a text message form Citi Fraud department asking if I attempted to make a purchase at CVS.

10. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you try again after talking to them? I got a call from Citi in a similar situation, as I said in another thread, and after I talked to them and told them that it would not be unusual to see charges like this at CVS I never had a problem again.

royce242 likes this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    No I didn't think the issue was on citi's end with the error message in the terminal. But you think that could have been the problem?

12. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were contacted by Citi fraud department then I think there is a high likelihood that they could have been blocking your transaction thinking someone had your card.

MX and vickers like this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell them it was you, and Citi will let the charge go through, you are ready to go... Next time do a 470 charge., never a 500, till later in the game.

Anytime the charge is over 1% pass unless you need the spend! even then buy a gas card..I pay me lawn guys with gas cards...

Always Be Flying and vickers like this.
  14. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was the strage part. Since this was my first attempt, I only tried $100.

Thanks for the 1% tip.

15. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always do $500 and have never actually had a problem, but also frequently buy others items (milk, etc.) in the same purchase. I think it's just important to not have the exact same amount charged 100 times or so in a row. So loading $500 is fine but don't have $1,007.90 every single time. (or whatever amount)

16. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know if this is the result of the new Banking Regulations. I know that now in order to make a deposit at the bank for my daily till, I have to have a photo ID. (Effective 3-15 at Chase, others on 4-1-14) Seems like the Feds are looking at people doing much more money laundering through Banks, Credit Cards, Prepaid Cards, etc. So it may come from even higher up than Citi.

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be careful with PayPal. They love to shut down accounts and hold the cash.

I wouldn't get anywhere near them for manufactured spend cycling.

boondr, LETTERBOY, davef139 and 2 others like this.
  18. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this can't be stressed enough, remember PayPal isn't a bank also so they do not have to follow federal laws and rules on banking. Generally the holds are 180days, so prepare for that if you were to go down this route.
    The best work around is if possibly someone has a PP account that sees lots of activity already so processing 5-10k/month is nothing. I know I have processed about 250k in the last 3years via PayPal, with only having a hold on incoming money once, and it was for 24hours, with transactions upto about $2500. Other then that I have never had a problem at all.

vickers likes this.
  19. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    What about using VGC to buy My Cash cards, loading into my account and then spending by my normal means (ie: to dogwalker, kids' sports, etc.). Would that get me shut down?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Less likely to have troubles that way than just cashing out.

satman40 likes this.
  21. Sfmom

Sfmom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I had just gotten my Serve card yesterday, then read about the new CVS policy. Oh well.

satman40 likes this.
  22. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Serve still let's you do 200 a dat 1000 a month, so plat it right for an extra 3000, wife has one also so 6,000 our way more than , Citi Hilton.

23. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    wait a minute... i had serve, but cancelled for bluebird, so i could write checks...... but serve is also useful for MS? this is so confusing.... lol

24. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Serve will write and mail the check for you...BB you write the check, either way the rent gets paid...

Nice of them, but who cares as long as the money moves our way.

In the near future we both may be in trouble...

vickers likes this.
  25. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    but both require loading with VR, correct? Hence the "we may be in trouble"?

satman40 likes this.