Payment FROM Amex

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by MaryDarling, Oct 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received a very unexpected check for $450 in the mail from AMEX, with a short letter saying it was for the value of MR points they were "unable to apply to my account at the time I earned them." I have no idea what this references; my point balance remains the same and, while I did cancel one of my cards with them recently, it was an old and inactive one.

I'm not complaining about a random check, of course, but I'm curious about it's cause. Has there been any sort of legal settlement or the like lately?

icurhere2 likes this.
  2. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    WTF? Um, please send me money AMEX!!! Hell, everyone send me money!

3. ckwill
    Original Member

ckwill Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received a similar letter and check, but mine was for $200 and referenced a delayed application of Starpoints. I don't recognize the last five digits of the card referenced as one of my current cards, but it is possible that it was a business starwood amex that I cancelled several years ago. Definitely strange, but I saw a thread on fatwallet that sounded like lots of folks received checks like this a couple years ago.

icurhere2 and MaryDarling like this.
  4. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some people had problems getting bonus points to post properly. Maybe AMEX is being proactive here. Just a wild guess.

MaryDarling likes this.
  5. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I certainly cashed the check, but I'm still baffled as to the cause of it. I believe it was linked to the card I just cancelled, but again, that card hadn't been used in well over a year, so I'm not clear what earned the mystery points. The money, however, will get spent in Paris, where we're headed next week. Thank you, Amex!

icurhere2 likes this.
  6. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still waiting for my check Amex.