Paying more to get off a plane faster?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jul 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...ing-more-to-get-off-a-plane-faster/56073708/1

Some fliers will pay if it can get them off the plane faster.

That's according to a survey by Airfarewatchdog.com, a fare-tracking site that found 16% of respondents were willing to pay to be at the front of the line when their flight lands. Of that group, 10% would pay $10 and 3% would pay as much as $20.
    Many fliers in coach class already pay airlines from $9 to $39 extra to get on flights ahead of others in the boarding process.
    "They're willing to pay to board early and sit in those uncomfortable seats, so why wouldn't they pay for the reverse, to get out of those uncomfortable seats?' says George Hobica, Airfarewatchdog's founder. "That would make the whole experience less tortuous."
    An early exit can also give fliers more time to make their connections. Airlines have gotten better at getting passengers to their destinations on time. In the first four months of this year, major U.S. carriers had an on-time arrival rate of 84.54%, their best performance for that period in 18 years, according to the Transportation Department's Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...ing-more-to-get-off-a-plane-faster/56073708/1

wrxmom, uggboy, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    People already pay more to get off the plane faster. It's called premium class or Ecoomy Plus/Comfort and comes with other ancillary benefits.

daemon14, wrxmom, uggboy and 10 others like this.
  3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be a good alternative for airlines who don't want to have a Y+ cabin (retrofit costs, less seats to sell, etc). Especially for industry darlings like Spirit Air and other high quality carriers... :eek:

I suspect we'll see the PR from Ryanair on monday announcing Exit+

uggboy, rwoman, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Spirit's branding will be Escape+ with TV commercials using the theme song of "The Great Escape"? They can also play it during deplaning.

http://www.televisiontunes.com/Great_Escape_(The).html

Sedosi, wrxmom, uggboy and 5 others like this.
  5. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another nickle and diming initiative.

paladin87, Sedosi, wrxmom and 4 others like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I am not sure that's a fair characterization. The story is about a travel site doing a survey about a hypothetical fee-for-service. Other than selling seats closer to the front for a higher price (which many airlines already do) I don't see how this can be practically implemented. Smells to me like a fake survey designed to generate media attention for AWD.

uggboy, rwoman, marcwint55 and 2 others like this.
  7. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    they could have a bidding process :) you bid for the closest exit seat (works only on flights that have one class). now that would be fun/funny. starting bid $1...and then you can continue bidding (if plane has wifi) during flight, as the plane is delayed due to heavy traffic at arriving airport. i think i'll pitch this to united ;-)

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    First get United to install Wifi, okay? ;)

9. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't see how this could ever be implemented without charging to sit close to the front. Imagine the plane arriving at the gate and the FAs yelling at people to stay seated while others leave first. I would love to be on the first flight from MIA to the NY area where they try to tell people to stay seated so others can leave. Yeah, that will work out well.

How about if the airlines want to make money they simply increase the airfares?

Trying to make it so EVERYONE can fly as cheaply as possible seems like making sure that EVERYONE can own a house and we know how well that worked.

10. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    it'll be like Y+, without the "+". United should have done this in the first place and had made more money and actually would have more capacity....

uggboy, Mapsmith and marcwint55 like this.
  11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I personally like to board first as I don't like standing behind other people. When it comes to exiting the plane, unless I am in a hurry to catch another flight, I don't care if I am first or last. The only place I don't want to be is in the middle. Sometimes leaving last is best as I have less time to wait for luggage to arrive and sitting on the plane is usually more comfortable than standing at baggage claim.

12. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try never to check a bag. I probably save at least 30 minutes and can be most of the way home from the airport before I would have even gotten my bag. That is assuming that the Priority Luggage actually comes out first :rolleyes:

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....some people love to pay more!:D

14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many more fees, costs and charges?:mad:

15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for even more excuses!:oops:

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:

17. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can hear it now. "Now disembarking those passengers seated in disembarking zone 1. Only those passengers with exist passes in zone 1 will be allowed to disembark at this time so please have your exit passes ready and in hand to show to the flight attendants as you leave the plane." "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to return to your seat, we are only disembarking those passengers with exit passes in zone 1 at this time."

18. UsingMiles

UsingMiles Z Representative

Status Points:
    A recent article found on MSNBC discusses whether it's a good idea for airlines to start charging for those who want to get off the plane faster and if anyone will actually pay.
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  19. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No way you could enforce this. An absolutely terrible idea. After 15 hours in coach, good luck telling me I have to wait to get off the plane.

uggboy and UsingMiles like this.
  20. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the issues with people on short-turnarounds on connections.

"Sorry sir, I realize your flight is leaving in 20 minutes but the bloke in front of you paid us $15 to deplane early so we'll be seeing you at customer service desk hell."

uggboy and UsingMiles like this.
  21. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is really valuable if you can promise that the whole process will be faster (costumes, immigration, luggage, etc) - otherwise, I'll wait.

arkleseizure, uggboy and UsingMiles like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I can promise a lot of things, even related to costumes :D

MX, paladin87, MDDCFlyer and 3 others like this.
  23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
  24. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    There should be another option in the poll ... eh-leet FFs naturally should have priority deboarding. I'd even live with deboarding in the same zones as boarding

Gargoyle, UsingMiles and MSPeconomist like this.
  25. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I might pay more just to be able to watch this unfold. :) Especially if they throw popcorn in for free.

Gargoyle likes this.