Paying IRS with Bluebird?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by knick1959, Jan 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, after snagging a new AMEX card and needing to spend $10k in the next 4 months, I've sketched out how I will do this. I'm going to owe the IRS some money ... not tons, but it would help massively with this "burden". This spend would be easy for us, but we're also trying to spend large on the Discover card for a targeted bonus ... this requires 3k per month through August.

I paid my city's estimated tax for 2012 in December with the BB card. I was a bit worried, but I supplied my city account # to BB and sent a check. Called a week later and the tax office confirmed receipt! Ditto with my car loan payment, which I do now regularly. And my Home Equity line of credit payment. All with trusting BB to relay the account number I've recorded for each, and it seems to be working.

So, now I'm wondering about US Federal Income Tax. Typically I send a check in WITH my return. However, typically, I send in my city estimated tax with a voucher, but I didn't this time, and it worked. If I send the IRS a BB check with my account number on it, would this also just go on my records, I wonder. Do I send this before or after the tax return itself? Can I send a check NOW and file the taxes in a week or so (making up the difference, if any, then)?

RELATED QUESTIONS. First, wouldn't it be nice if we could upload a scan, pdf or picture to send with a BB check? To represent the "slip" you usually mail in with the check.

What if I make a check out to a company ... in my real case, a small home painting firm, but have it sent to MY home address. I don't want to pay them until they are done with the job, and I don't want to tell them, when they ARE done, that they have to wait 2-3-4 days or more to get paid. Yeah, that would go over well. "It'll be in the mail!" Anything wrong with having BB send a check to my address, made out to someone else?

This would also solve the IRS problem. I wonder what the BlueBird check looks like. Perhaps I'll send one to my wife and see! Does anyone know, in the meantime??

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for listening!

2. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, a question I forgot. You can use the BB card as a debit card, right? I remember reading that you can pay the IRS with a debit card through various services and they weren't that expensive. Perhaps that is an alternative, but it would just add a fee on top of those already levied by VR card purchases. However, if the services can send in payment separately, I suppose I can too, eh?

Thanks again.

3. knick1959

knick1959 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so I'll talk to myself. I see that if you keep your questions short and compact, you get more replies. Unfortunately, that's not often me. No problem. I'll simply consider this my own form of blogging!

So, after thinking about it more, I did a couple of things. I send my wife a BB check for $20, just so I can see what one looks like. From that I should be able to see where the send-to address fits and if it would look funny having a check to the IRS sent to my own address.

I also realized that these services that let you pay with a debit or credit card are able to send the IRS money without my documents. IOW, the money is sent separately from the forms, eh? I just don't want to send in a couple of grand only to find out there is a snag and I have to send in a personal check while I try to get money back from a BB check.

Then, I also realized I might not be thinking this out well enough. I mean, if I can pay my home equity line via BB and VRs (and I have for a few months now), then I could simple send a check from there (with my papers) AND pay the HELOC balance down with BB checks.

On a side note, I was approved for my AMEX business card in the late evening of 1/22. I started my budget/spend plans figuring it would take 7-10 days to get the cards, so I started the plan in FEB. They came yesterday, 1/25 via UPS letter package! That gives me a few days left in this month. I'll have to go check and see if the Amazon payment $1k limit is per calendar month ...

I'm just a little concerned now that someone has pointed out that VR cards may be excluded from AMEX's terms. I still need to use some to meet the spend, but I can also shift normal spend off the Discover card spend we are trying to meet and buy VRs with it. We'll see how this all shakes out!

Thanks again for listening.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  4. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are doing a good job of talking to yourself. :)
    If I may join the conversation, for IRS payments, your social security number as your account number will have to be printed on the check. Are you comfortable with that? Also, the check should have '1040 ES - 2012' printed on it so the IRS can apply the payment properly for your 2012 estimated taxes and not assume that to be a payment for your 2013 taxes. I haven't done it myself using the BB card, but I assume you have to cover all bases for making payments to IRS, just to make sure that the amount is applied properly for the tax year you intend it to be applied to. Yes, you can pay the estimated taxes now (by a personal check or BB card, if that works out), and then send in your tax returns later, but the payment must be clearly identified as Estimated Taxes for 2012, for IRS to credit it properly.

5. Purewater

Purewater Active Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't help you right now, but Bluebird has said true check writing capabilities are coming later this year. Not sure it's worth the risk of paying estimated taxes without the slip. What happens if the Treasury doesn't deposit your check? That could take months to resolve. Just send the amount of your estimated taxes to your wife, she can deposit that amount and then write a check to the US Treasury. Same difference, just a few extra steps and removes the risk completely.

servo likes this.
  6. TravelScrounger

TravelScrounger Active Member

Status Points:
    I had my Estimated Tax Payment sent to my home address but made out to the IRS. I then mailed it with my ES Voucher.
    I called earlier and they said it had not posted, but to call back today. I'll post back with an update.

Update: Just confirmed with IRS. It has posted to my account.

7. AirGypsy

AirGypsy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I'm also thinking of doing the same to pay some 2012 federal taxes. I've used BB bill pay before but I'm not sure what to put in the Manual Payee info for the IRS. Since you've had success, would you mind giving a bit more detail - did you simply put Internal Revenue Service as the payee, and did you also put your SS# somewhere (memo field)? Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

8. TravelScrounger

TravelScrounger Active Member

Status Points:
    I mailed in December for Q4/2012. I put U.S. Treasury as the Payee Name, with my name in the First Address Field. I put my address in the Second Address Field. And I put my SSN as the Account Number. The check came to my home, I then mailed it to the IRS along with my 1040 ES.
    This should also work to pay when you file.

9. AirGypsy

AirGypsy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your reply..getting ready to do above tonight for 2012 tax payment (and mail to IRS later). I will give update as soon as I get confirmation of receipt, which will be around April.