Paying for Upgrades: What Is a Good Price?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Sunshine7, Sep 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the chance to try for an upgrade through OptionTown for my upcoming SAS flights between ORD and ARN. I've currently reserved seat 20C, which is a bulkhead aisle seat in economy.

OptionTown is offering a chance to upgrade to Economy Extra for about $190 each way. The Business Class upgrade would be $450 each way, give or take.

Any opinions on whether these upgrades are worth the added expense? I've flown only UA's Economy Plus on TATL flights for the past two or three years, so regular economy is a bit of a distant nightmare (memories of the middle seat on KLM from AMS to LAX always cause me to shudder). I've never flown SAS TATL or any carrier's business class, so I don't have any experience there.

I'm also wondering if my current bulkhead seat somehow tips the scales in favor of saving money and staying put. I'm UA Silver if that makes any difference.

Comments are appreciated!

OY-JFS likes this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    20C is one of the better seats in Econ - bulkhead but with more legroom than the other seats, IIRC. The SAS econ seats are about 17.5" wide and 32" seat pitch.

Econ extra is about 0.5" wider and 6" more legroom (but being in bulkhead it may be a little less).

The last time I flew SAS (a year ago), I bought up using Optiontown to EExtra for $250, so $190 is not bad. I think I was also offered Biz in the same range as you got. The confirmation of buy up did not happen immediately - prob 6 weeks, or a few days before my flight.

You get a nicer meal and a little more space, which is nice on the night flight. The Biz seat will likely be an angled flat (170 degree) seat, which means you may be sliding down during the night.

If you fit into an Econ seat and are not taller than 5'8", I think you may be fine, but if you can afford the Biz seat and would like to get some sleep, $450 is not bad (considering UA used to charge $649 for TATL, even in their old barcalounger/cradle seats).

One other thing, if you do not get confirmed, you will not be refunded the 'service' fee UTo charges.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  3. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know that the prices are not bad! I'm 5'7" and can fit comfortably into an economy seat, but I do like to have the extra legroom to stretch out and not feel so claustrophobic. I understand that the food in Economy and EExtra are the same, so maybe EExtra won't be much of an upgrade because of my current bulkhead aisle seat, which has the added benefit of no passenger directly in front of me.

I guess it's just a matter of deciding whether I want to spend the extra money for Business Class. I didn't know about the possibility of sliding down the angled flat seats when fully reclined, but it makes sense and sounds a bit annoying. Maybe I will try 20C on the way over and try to peek into the Business section to see if it's worth the cost of upgrading on the return leg. I return on a Sunday and have to go back to work the next day, so I'm slightly more concerned about that flight even though it's a day flight.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful. :)

4. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    SK Y+ is not that great anymore. I read that they cut the amentity kit and no more champagne.

OY-JFS and Sunshine7 like this.
  5. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard the same (no hot towel, no comfort kit, and no champagne). So any move to Y+ would be for the additional space and an additional 25% in miles, I believe. Pretty similar to UA Economy Plus actually, but I'm not sure it's worth an extra $400 roundtrip as opposed to my current bulkhead aisle seat.

6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even more, that you have already got a bulkhead seat, I don't see any reason to throw in extra $ if I were you. I doubt that you can get bulkhead seat at Y+.

The only risk you have is suddenly there are infants on board that requires a bassinet that they might need to move you.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  7. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree. Thanks!

8. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    20C is the first row in Economy on SAS A333's. Row 20 is only seperated from Eco+ with a curtain, so this is not a bassinet row, and legroom will be pretty decent!

So this row is the best in Economy on the 333's... Have a nice trip! :)

Sunshine7 likes this.
  9. view
    Original Member

view Silver Member

Status Points:
    20 C is indeed a good seat in eco, and there will not be any bassinets and there is no fixed partition there. My personal dislike of SAS eco is no on-demand video, and only 2 free alcoholic drinks with the meal service.

Myself I always think the C upgrade in option town is good value for business class service and seat. The fact that these upgrades give you the full mileage of the upgraded class is a big plus.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you actually get more miles with the buy up? It doesn't work that way on a lot of airlines - I don't know about SAS

Sunshine7 likes this.
  11. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    If bought through Optiontown yes. Else no

Sunshine7 and HerrO like this.
  12. Sunshine7

Sunshine7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input! It's been very helpful. I think I will stick with 20C for now, but look into upgrading for my December flights on the same route.

Skål! :)

OY-JFS and SK2868 like this.