Paying for stay with SPG Amex v another card

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Aktchi, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG-newbie question: What is the advantage of using my SPG Amex card to pay for my SPG stay v using other cards? I am trying to work my way through spend requirement on a couple of visa cards (C1 and Chase/BA), thus weighing different options.

2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have status with SPG?

3. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uhh....You get 2 SPG points per $ spent at SPG properties in addition to your regular starpoints for status and room $

4. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't have status at SPG.

So the equation is: If I charge $X to my AA visa at SPG property, I'll get X miles at AA; if I charge $X to my SPG Amex at SPH property, I'll get 2X SPG points. In both cases, I'll get the same number of points for the stay itself?

5. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    Your calculations are correct. You'll get 2 points for every dollar spent on hotel expenses and associated expenses (dining, etc.) at the hotel if you use the SPG Amex. You then add in whatever points earned through status: 2 for Preferred members and 3 for Gold and Platinum members. For others reading this thread who may not be aware, there are two shortcuts to SPG status. First, Amex Plat cardholders can request by phone or email complimentary Gold status. Second, there are Gold and Platinum status challenges, with the Plat challenge requiring 15 nights (apparently not stays) in 90 days: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/tag/spg-platinum-stay-challenge/.

medidate and flyingdawg like this.