Paying for AAdvantage Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by YVR Traveller, Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. YVR Traveller

YVR Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I have a question but I couldn't find the answer.

Quite simply, I would like to book an AA Award for my brother and his wife on an AA partner (not bookable on the website), but I don't want to pay the fees/taxes. Is it possible for my brother to pay the taxes/fees on the award using his credit card/billing information?

joesmoe and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

joesmoe and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only yes, its probably a better idea. Some airlines and routes ask to see the credit card used to book the ticket.

joesmoe, 2soonold and Espan like this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    On the website, though, I think the credit card has to belong to the AAdvantage accountholder. On the phone that is not the case.

joesmoe, 2soonold and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and i would also have the other party pay for it, in case u have some ticketing issues that need the credit card to be presented onsite @ the airport..... Unless you want the miles for his service fees.... just kidding....

joesmoe likes this.
  6. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    That has not been my experience. I have actually booked awards online for my cousins several times with their credit card, mostly for the reasons JohnDeree19 stated. You are given the opportunity to list a billing name, billing address etc other then yourself or the ones that you have on file at time of purchase on aa.com.

joesmoe likes this.
  7. YVR Traveller

YVR Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I put an award on hold for my brother and his wife. When I did so, the agent insisted that I would have to be the ones paying for the taxes on my CC for verification.

I am uncomfortable doing this, not only because I would prefer that he pay the hefty BA taxes/fees himself, but more importantly for verification at the airport to be safe as per the advice above (and I just read on MP and FT that a few people have been boarding at the airport for not having the CC used to book the flights).

Is this agent correct or how do you go about having my brother/wife use their CC to ticket it? Many many thanks in advance.

8. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done this (both as the source and as the recipient of miles); to make it easy, I'll do a conference call with AA and the other person, so makes it easy to provide CC details.

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. The credit card has to be in the name of the person whose miles are used. However, AA will let your brother provide your credit card info if you'd be comfortable sharing it with him. As explained to me, this is one layer in their security system, eg, in case of AAdvantage account hijacking.

Unlike selling miles or awards, AA would be fine with your brother and his wife reimbursing you for these fees and taxes.

However, individual agents may well have some discretion here, and status may (or may not) play a role. Therefore I see no harm in calling AA and requesting the arrangement you want.

10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had situations where a friend loaned me miles for an award for me; miles can from his account. But hefty BA fuel fines went on my credit card. Agent was fine with it. Likewise the other way. It may depend on what the agent thinks your relationship is. As far as a security measure goes, I'm not sure what it really would protect against. If your account is hacked, if the attacker also had your credit card info it doesn't help at all. If the attacker was wiling to use his or her own credit card, that would be lovely as they can track who it is.

11. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    When important enough, a person who actually flew can always be tracked from flight records. Point is not to let things get to that level. Better to keep my home locked than tracking thieves from fingerprints. :)

It is reasonable to guess that AA's intention is to protect AAdvantage accounts. So if somebody has your AAdvantage info, but not credit card info, he couldn't buy awards. It goes without saying that if you have managed to lose other sensitive info as well, you'd be that much more exposed.

As anecdotal evidence suggests, AAgents have at least some discretion to make exception on case by case basis.

Sagy likes this.
  12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had both, sometimes I was able to use another CC, other times agents insisted it had to be the AAdvantage account holders credit card. I don't know if it's a case of some agents being "nice" or just not doing their job, I highly doubt any agents are making the cc match the AAdvantage account if it's not a policy of AA.

13. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that the AAgents may be basing this on the relationship between the two parties (e.g., the better they seem to know each other, or the more plausible the connection, the more the agent is apt to accept a different person's card.)

14. Sagy

Sagy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some, possibly but not much. I used an SWU for a co-worker flight from LHR. Since LHR has extra taxes in J the agent asked for CC info. The co-worker was with me, called from a speaker phone in his office, so I let him give his CC info and the agent said that it must be my CC.

15. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Sorry! But fees must be paid by the AAdvantage member that is awarding the miles for someone other than himself to travel. This is for the security of the member's account. This prevents someone from using another member's miles for their travel and using their credit card for the fees - in this case the member could potentially be unaware if they called AAdvantage reservations for instance.

wijomas and Sagy like this.
  16. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Though it's not terribly secure, considering that in most cases only a CC number, expiry, and CVV can actually be verified by the merchant (not the name or billing address)

17. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how do parents redeem miles from their children's account?