Paying American Express w/ Bluebird

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was wondering if anyone has paid off an Amex credit card with bluebird's bill pay feature. Since it's amex to amex is it any faster/slower than normal?

2. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you paying off a card that you used to fund the bluebird with? i.e. vanilla reload purchases?

3. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tested it with my SPG amex, US Air MasterCard, and my Citi AAdvantage MasterCard. Each took three days.

4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious about this too. My Hilton AmEx statement just hit, and I have enough money to cover $2,200 in BB, but bought $1,500 of reloads via that card. I'm leaning towards not doing it and putting that money toward my Ink Bold, which I only bought 1 VR with.

5. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me be a little more detailed: I bought Vanilla Reload cards to fund my Bluebird. On November 11th I sent a test $2 payment to each of the banks listed in my previous post. All three posted the in 3 days on November 14th. I used my SPG Amex to purchase the reload cards, which was one of the accounts I tested. I did not test my Chase British Airways. But I believe others have had success paying a bill using Bluebird. Someone please confirm or correct me if I am wrong. Hopefully that helps.

*Note that I did only a $2 test amount. I have not tried a big amount yet. I have sent large checks for my graduate school though. Those also worked fine.

6. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually not looking to churn, per se. The card used to buy the vanilla reloads have nothing to do with the amex I'm paying off.

7. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the issue is "can you" make a payment, because we know you can, but would payment of an Amex card used to fund BB with BB funds be frowned upon, and I would say yes. I doubt it would be an issue otherwise if you were just paying off normal spending on an AmEx card.

If you funded BB with a card that wasn't an AmEx card, and want to pay an AmEx bill using BB, then it would work just as easily. It's an ACH transaction, so it isn't going to go any faster to the AmEx clearing house from their bank division, as they're different transit numbers. Electronic payments seem to post in 2-3 business days from my experience, and I have paid 2 separate CC's (one my wife's Citibank Platinum and the other my Chase UA Explorer) so far with no issues with large amounts. They both posted in that 2-3 day range.

EDIT - upon further review, my Chase payment was posted to my account the day after sending the payment through BB. Not bad!

merice107 likes this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am opting to NOT pay my AE card with BB. No evidence to support a reason not to, just not taking the chance.

Dad to GO, merice107 and servo46250 like this.
  9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Nothing physically prevents you from doing this, but I'm positive Murphy (the guy with the Law) would kick me in the rear if I did it. These are, after all, the grand inquisitors behind the dreaded "financial review" and the people who called me at 3:08 am to ask if I'd made a $1700 purchase in Senegal ten minutes before.

(I hadn't.)

merice107 and servo46250 like this.
  10. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you guys. My bluebird is being used to pay for my grad school (which I otherwise would not be getting points for by just using my checking). And then a water bill here and there.

11. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    To clarify my position, I have no problem paying off non-AMEX cards with the BlueBird -- they do sell it as a bill-payment alternative for the un-banked. I just try not to do things that I'd shut me down for doing.

12. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't make a bank-to-bank transfer. Tried it-no go. But you can have BB send Amex a physical check, just like paying anyone else with a check.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've made Chase CC payments from BB without issue, as well as EFT transfers to my Chase checking account.

I haven't elected to pay my Amex Plat card from BB. Though I cannot see Amex flinching, BB and Plat have different target audiences. While they know it is me on both cards, paying money between them just seemed like something best not to do (though probably more principle than principal).

Remember, however, Bluebird is more of a Walmart invention than an Amex invention. Amex is mainly the frontman for WM's business objectives. WM has an Industrial Bank in Utah that they tried for years to get licensed for retail banking - to no avail. WM wants to find any reason to get people to come into their stores...banking is a good reason.

In light of this, you really should feel free to use your BB account much more like you would a checking account - pay any CC, any bill, EFT transfers to other banks, etc - which is what WM really wants to be offering in the first place. They just had to partner with Amex to make it work.

Tenmoc, Ed Chandler and merice107 like this.
  14. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    @NYBanker: Good reply and thanks for the perspective. It sounds like you have a better finger on the banking pulse than I do. I presume you work in the industry (as your handle implies)?