Pay With Square App For Android & iOS – Competition For PayPal Here?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Mar 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.crazyengineers.com/pay-with-square-app-for-android-ios-competition-for-paypal-here-1980/

Pay With Square is the new name of Square’s payment mobile app called ‘Card Case’, that lets you discard your wallet, find more businesses around you that you would love, share favorites with friends, and earn rewards. So, basically you pay with your name using Square. This app which was previously available only on iOS, is now ready for Android users too. Moreover, the app comes loaded with a bundle of new features. Looks like Square is driving accelerated launch process, because we saw the launch of Square Register iPad app earlier this month.

[​IMG]

http://www.crazyengineers.com/pay-with-square-app-for-android-ios-competition-for-paypal-here-1980/

msny, wrxmom and uggboy like this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Square is also doing a massive marketing campaign. I got a postcard in the mail for a free card reader for my iPhone. If I recall correctly, they used to charge for the reader.

msny and sobore like this.
  3. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    Card reader has always been free if you order through the website. Only the retail outlets charge $10 for the Reader but you do get the credit in your account.

wrxmom and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is the lack of venues that accept it. I'm in downtown Manhattan right now and I think there's only 2 places I can use this at, none of them I actually want to visit :)

None of the restaurants, cafes or any other places near my house take it either, so it's just a gimmick for now.

At least I can use Google Wallet at Macy's and some subway stations. :)

bananajax and msny like this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is kind of a different market that PayPal, at least until now, in my mind, was really undeserving/overlooking. Square is trying to capture businesses with a physical presence as opposed to PayPal which has historically sought online transactions usually between individuals.

I like the idea of the Pay with Square app though unless I was a regular at a place that used Square I don't think it is worth seeking out places to use it. After all the biggest downside I see to all these new tech payment options including Google Wallet,etc is that pulling out a CC to pay is not a very cumbersome process to start with, so the new solution really has to be a game changer to get traction.

6. jazzalbart

jazzalbart Member

Status Points:
    Definitely, When Square is here, competition is on for PayPal. Although, compared to Square, PayPal here has a bunch more features. If you don’t have your reader, you can snap a photo of a card to accept it. It tracks cash and check payments as well as cards, and has a feature for issuing invoices.

sobore likes this.
  7. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont see this as a paypal competition, the target users are different. Im glad square exists; where I am (santa barbara) most of the taxi's here now can accept card due to square.

Cali94102 likes this.
  8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use PayPal Here a lot for my garage sales. Works perfect. I've only seen small businesses around NYC, DC, and Oklahoma City use Square. I've not once seen a small business use PayPal Here. Wonder why...

Cali94102 likes this.