Pay with Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by wcblack34, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day All!

I've recently received a couple of great credit cards with frequent flyer rewards. I want to use them to pay all of my expenses, but my largest expenses (my mortgage and student loans) can't be paid with a credit card. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can find some roundabout way to use the cards so I can reap the mileage benefits?

Thanks!!!

TravelBear likes this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can pay in a round about way. There are blogs outlining these methods. I would suggest Million Mile Secrets or Frequent Miler as both blogs do great jobs at step by step processes. I pay mortgages using Bluebird.

MX and Cdnblue like this.
  3. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I understand this strategy correctly:

1. Sign up for Bluebird
    2. Purchase Vanilla Reload cards with mile earning cards
    3. Use Vanilla Reload cards to fund Bluebird account
    4. Pay mortgage/student loans with Bluebird

Is that the gist of it?

Cdnblue and SM105 like this.
  4. Traveling Momma

Traveling Momma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome wcblack34! Yes, you have it correct. That's exactly what you do. Once you sign up for a Bluebird account, you should also see if you can still get 100 paper check for free. This may have been a limited time offer.

I did exactly what you outline above and have been able to pay my Fed and State taxes, Mortgage, HOA dues, housekeeper and the like.

Keep in mind you can only load up to $1K/day in VR on the Bluebird and you can only load $5K a month total.

This is an excellent method for meeting the minimum spend quickly. There is also the ability to use Gift Card. See this:

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/04/06/gift-card-pin-number/

Good luck and feel free to ask questions. My experience as relative newcomer is that everyone on here is more than willing to help you out and share their knowledge.

Blue.

5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

wcblack34 likes this.
  6. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both very much for the wisdom! I don't live in a town where there is a readily available place to buy Vanilla Reload cards, but today I was at the local Walmart (looking for Vanilla Reload cards) and came across "Green Dot MoneyPak" cards that appear to work the same way. Is anyone familiar with these?

7. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try CVS as it is best place to buy Beans (vanilla card). It is to my understanding that the dot pak cards are not feasible for what you want. Look for the blogs mentioned above million miles secrets as they provide detailed info 1

wcblack34 likes this.
  8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    One thing to remember is the cost associated with the Bluebird card. IF you can find VRS cards, it will cost a minimum of $.008 to load the BB card. You need to make sure that the value of the points you earn is worth your time (and the risk of a financial review).

If you do not have access to a CVS, there are ways to buy "regular" prepaid cards and load them on a BB card at your local WM.