Pay up to first

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by benolaa, Feb 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    One would assume an airline wants to make as much revenue as possible so convincing me to upgrade to first would be a smart move so why do they charge a change fee when I am paying the difference between coach and first it simply discourages the upgrade?

2. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently had the same experience upgrading from a discounted (mid level - V and W) fare on AA. They charged the fare difference (for discounted, restricted F- A class) plus $150. It's a valid procedure, but it is like salt in the wound.

3. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very valid point

4. Philphactor
    Original Member

Philphactor Silver Member

Status Points:
    When did they start doing this? Back in '10 I paid for an upgrade from Q to F and didn't pay a change fee.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not book the F in the first place? No change fee then.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe as an option. Keep the ticket if upgrades look likely and strategically buy up otherwise.

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite something new... as far as I can recall changing a ticket class ( whether higher or lower) for at least 4 or 5 years has required the change fee. The exceptions being 1) that it is often waved for EXPs 2) Awards tickets.

I however do find AAs thinking on this quite reasonable it prevents (as it may have done in your instance) pax for example purchasing coach tickets, monitoring the fluidity in fare changes and call up and do the upgrade when the F fare falls to a level you desire.
    If it such a big deal as mentioned above why not buy the F ticket in the first place:)

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had no idea they did this. It seems idiotic.:( Airlines are always hungry for a PAX who will pay $$ to occupy an F seat. :confused:

9. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    You just remided me what happenned to me this january, on my return home I ask to change from discount economy to First, because I didn't want to use my EVIP, and the difference was 2K USD, but there was a 150 dollar fee, and I gently asked if that could be waived, and the agent apologized and said no, therefor I got mad and said ok, then leave as it is, but when I get to the airport my Evip cleares to Business, but the cabin on economy was overbooked, so they moved me to First, that was almost empty and put someone in my seat on business. In another words, they lost 2k dollars!!!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  10. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AA should be actively pushing the upgrade. The call should be Mr Benolaa I see its only $178.67 more from your (way to expensive) coach ticket to our comfortable first class would you like to upgrade?

druiddation and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this right... you didnt want to use your e-vip so you were prepared to pay $2000.00 ...fair enough:)

But how do you know that AA actually lost $2000.00 perhaps the guy they moved to J paid $1600 to upgrade and they saved $600 on by accomodating the Y pax saving an IDB (not to mention the e-vip you used which wont be available for your next $1500 upgrade) .. one can always rationalise a story into its simplest terms ( or to fit ones story)

12. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In other words AA should become like car salesmen encouraging pax ( who presumably have no idea what they want) to purchase more expensive options.:)

13. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well say what you want, but it is pretty clear to me that they lost 2K dollars, with all variations you can possibly come up with! Actually I don't even regreat using this EVIP now, since they gave me back money from Malev's which I'll use to upgrade to J the flight I wanted to use the EVIP!!!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  14. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This type of flying population has to be miniscule.

JohnDeere19 likes this.