Pay mortgage or auto loan with CC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by lichenlt, Apr 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to pay with CC so that I can earn some miles?

satman40 likes this.
  2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your mileage may vary, but I haven't found a way. There are some Banks that will allow a bill-payment from a credit card, but most of those do them as a cash-advance (with the related fees) and don't provide miles.

I guess that, theoretically, you could fund your PayPal account with your credit card and do it from there... but I've never tried.

satman40 and Horse like this.
  3. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes there is for many mortgages and car loans but you have to pay a % fee that probably doesn't make it worthwhile for the typical mileage earning credit card.

satman40 likes this.
  4. Peter Smith

Peter Smith New Member

Status Points:
    Usually Mortgage Service providers do not allow borrowers to make direct payments using their credit card. Although, some of the bill paying service which do allow payment via a credit card may not provide any reward to you. The easiest and quickest form of loan can be provided by the pawn brokers against any valuable item you possess.

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The easiest way is buy some SMGC, spend 69 cent grocery store get a MO, and pay the bill.

Have not made a house payment since 85, and quit making vehicle payments before that..

I load Serve Cards to make sure I get the spend on a new CC.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Chargesmart several times for both mortgage and car payments with no issues.

The only problem is the cost... it's the usual 2.7 to 3% when using a credit card (debit card is slightly less) so you're paying a premium for the points.

vickers and satman40 like this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have bought a lot of VISA GIFT Cards from Office Depot and Stapleswhen they have their Rebate Programs..

Using Chase INK we get 5 X on the points..

8. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Merchants pass on costs of charge card to you so check before using CC.

Small purchases merchants pay the 2.5% VISA/AMEX/MasterCard/Bank fee but on large transactions they just markup the asking price if using a credit card.

satman40 likes this.
  9. cybaslacka

cybaslacka Silver Member

Status Points:
    delete

satman40 likes this.
  10. Brion

Brion New Member

Status Points:
    Plastiq has (had?) a promotion for 1.9% for new registrants. I've paid my last two mortgage payments using that service.

satman40 and TravelBear like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would use the SERVE CARD, I pay many of my bills, even legal fees, and contractor fees,

We just have SERVE send them a check,

I would assume if you put the account number on the check your account would receive the credit.

I have never made a vehicle or loan payment this way, my wife and I both use this so $10k in spend extra from CC.

12. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    SMGC?? Could you please elaborate?

satman40 likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simon Mall Gift Cards, $4.00 per $500.00 Gift Card, then load your Serve Card at WM or get a Money Order 70 cents.,

So $700.00 for 100,000 miles, or 125,000 SPG...

14. TooManyMiles100

TooManyMiles100 New Member

Status Points:
    the best thing you can do is make deals with people you owe money too...so I'll pay for your groceries this week...instead of giving cash... that'll get you the points. I did this and got 100k points saved up in 1 year of paying as much as I could in credit card...so for instance I owed rent every month.I got my roommates groceries every month which was 300....with my credit card...then I paid $900 more in with debit....but thats 300 more points per month!!

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not always a good idea to pay other people bills with your credit card..

I suspect at some point other people will forget to pay you back.

I even loan money to my wife, and she tells me she will put the check in my casket, before they cremate me...:mad:

Why not collect the rent from your roommates, and then pay the LandLord with a check from your Serve Account, most LL only want to see one rent check from each property...