Pay for PQMs "special promotion"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Jul 24, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received an email reminder entitled "Give yourself a boost: Purchase Premier qualifying miles and segments by July 27, 2015". (Oddly, they ran the same promotion in June with a June 29 deadline and now they are trying again.) It doesn't look like such a great deal, however, unless you are really desperate for a few additional PQMs.

I looked at a couple of my upcoming reservations and came up with this analysis.

Observations:
    If you intend to fly sometime this year, the option to purchase extra miles by clicking on the "Get extra miles" button on your reservation is hands-down cheaper. You only get an offer of two amounts, but the cost per mile is the same regardless of what the offer is.

PQM cost.jpg

This "special promotion" offers you, for example, 10,000 PQM for $1800, but if you take up the offer on your reservation, you can pay just $1530 for the same PQMs, (+ $230 for the RDMs) but in addition to the PQMs you are getting 10,000 RDMs to boot.

Purchase_PQMs.jpg

Questions:
    1) Is everyone getting this offer, or is it only for those at specific levels? (I'm 1K, my wife(gold) didn't receive it).
    2) It would seem to me, that people would be more apt to take up an offer like this towards then end of the year when they realize that they are short of the amount needed to qualify. Why now? Any ideas?
    3) Is this right? What do you think?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. I got it as a 1K that has only 35K PQM at this point. I have a couple of trips later in the year that will take care of requal (hopefully) but yeah.

2. It's a marketing offer, and one that is fairly low cost for them to try. Even if they only get a few who are worried about requal this far out, that's nearly free revenue for the company.

3. There isn't anything moral about it as far as I'm concerned; it's a marketing offer and the company can market in any way they choose. It's up to me whether or not I respond to the offer (and I didn't).

Counsellor and Pizzaman like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No need to have such an intent, thanks to the ease with which flights can be refunded within 24 hours, after the additional miles have been purchased. :-:

bmg42000, trobb49 and Pizzaman like this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unless I was very close to 1K status, I still can't imagine a situation where I could be close to a status level and be willing to pay 15 cents a PQM. Obviously, others may have differing opinions.

Garp74, Thomask and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    A link to the offer appears in my online account where I check my mileage balance. When I click on it, I'm told that the offer has expired.

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its another one of these UA offers created by people in their department that have completely lost touch with reality. I checked mine and my wife's offer out of curiosity.
    "You are eligible for a special opportunity to give yourself a boost of up to 15,000 Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) and 15 Premier qualifying segments (PQS)."

What is offered is so bad value that it makes me .... It is also just PQM+PQS but NOT redeemable miles. For the money it would cost me I can EASILY purchase a revenue ticket and earn the same number of PQM+PQS and redeemable miles. I long ago hit my 4 UA segments and do not have a USA address so do not have to have the US$ spend, - so it is a no brainer for me.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    One has to wonder why they haven't closed the loophole to buy PQM/RDM on a fully refundable ticket. At this point, I've got to think they're aware and perfectly happy to "let" customers exploit this avenue. Why they don't make these other offers more reasonable is beyond me if they're willing to offer lower prices when coupled with a ticket purchase. Why not try some dynamic (lower) pricing to see if you get more buyers closer to 10 cents? Is that an indication they actually get traction at these absurd prices?

trobb49 likes this.
  8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are much more likely to get a better offer for PQMs via the award accelerator on an existing itinerary whether revenue or award. I currently see PQMs for sale on an existing itinerary for 10 cents per mile. Also pay attention to award accelerator pricing upon check-in, where there is the option to buy award miles and also select Premier accelerator. This may give the best pricing option of all.

With respect to this current PQM offer and the previous one from last month, it is a poor marketing offer as Award accelerator and Premier accelerator are much better friends. The current UA marketing team is very unimaginative compared to the PMUA marketing team which would send out great bonus mile offers whether targeted or for everyone. I get weekly junk mails about using miles for car rentals or hotels or booking a hotel on an upcoming itinerary, but there is nothing with regards to RDM or PQM bonus offers.

trobb49 likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because it is still free money to the company, even if at a slightly lower rate than the other free money the company is making.