Pay before you eat -- a new trend? :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by viguera, Feb 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see this go widely adopted, especially at smaller high-end venues.

Much in the same way as Next in Chicago or Brooklyn Fare, Atera in NYC is now having customers prepay for their meal. Keep in mind that this is not an average restaurant though... it only has 12 seats for its 20+ course tasting menu (which costs $160 plus tax and gratuity).

The reasoning seems to be that because of the limited space any last minute cancellations really affect the bottom line.

http://thebaddeal.com/post/43992385826/this-high-end-nyc-restaurant-makes-you-pay-for-your

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link leads to a blank page.

Do they charge at the time of booking, like a cancellation fee, or make people pay upon arrival, before the meal but too late to fill the table with others? AmEx Fine Dining charges if a reservation is cancelled with less than 48 hours notice, IIRC $60 per person.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link is still loading for me, but maybe I have a cached copy or something.

My understanding is that they require prepayment when your reservation is confirmed, 48 hours prior to dinner. The total prepayment is $165 plus taxes and 18% gratuity ($209.35 total prepayment per person). After you arrive you have an option to add $105 or $170 beverage pairings.

I suppose you can cancel up to 48 hours prior without any penalty, but my understanding is that nobody does :)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still the blank page using Safari on an iPad 2....although the URL at the top of the page looks OK.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many buffets are pay before you eat. This would be a strange concept at a sit-down establishment.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Sizzler's.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Foodies are a strange breed.

Next in Chicago operates on a "ticket" system, where you actually buy a ticket like you would a concert for admission to the restaurant. Prices are $65-110 (when you can buy them, plus $50-100 for wine pairings, plus tax) and they resell like hotcakes online. If you can't make it, that's too bad... much in the same way as you don't have any value of a concert ticket that you didn't attend.

Like I said, it's one of those trends...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-19/no-tables-no-choices-for-atera-s-700-menu-ryan-sutton.html

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    The burger drive-thru is sounding better and better:

1) Speak order into clowns mouth
    2) Drive to window, pickup and pay for food.

It don't get easier than that. ;)

viguera likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In-N-Out 3x3 burger and animal style french fries.

sobore likes this.
  12. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I love food more than the next guy, and plan all my travel largely around food and such, but I have limits. I detest stuff like this...and other idiocies like "no reservations" at super busy places just to be cool or kitschy, etc. Just serve great food and don't do any gimmicky crap.

13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well at many asian places you pay first, get vouchers to pay with when you get your food. Of course these are very cheap places and the main difference is YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK IMMEDIATELY FOR UNUSED VOUCHERS.