Pay a fee to prepay a fee?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ArizonaGuy, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a search and I perused the AA forum and this General Discussion forum but didn't see this here. A search of FT shows a 2009 thread on this same topic and apparently nothing has changed. Though this is on AA I'm putting it here for the wider audience and to see if any other carriers do this. I found this posted on A.Net:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/consum...light-for-mom-outraged-at-fees-118060129.html

And apparently AA confirms it costs $100 to prepay a checked bag fee. Seriously? I just did a dummy booking and was never asked about prepaying for baggage fees (though they gladly tried to upsell a package with higher boarding zone and change fee discount). I thought the majors had this in place and by doing so it saved a few bucks versus paying at the airport.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It almost sounds like they've been studying the Ryanair model- charge fees for everything, including fees to not pay a fee. :(

wiredboy likes this.