Pax sues United for being jailed after she attempted to change seats

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mre5765, Dec 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A poorly written story. Hard to tell why she was arrested. It looks she saw a row of empty seats. Moved there before take off. Was told she would to pay E+ fees. Ultimately decided to keep her original seats but was arrested anyway.

WilliamQ, Flyer1976, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, this story is missing something. It wouldnt go down like that...

"The airline won’t comment on the case, but said federal law requires pre-flight briefing for anyone seated in emergency rows, and added that balance and weight safety regulations prevent onboard seat changes."

I agree with the first part. But the second? People are always changing seats when the plane is not full. Ive even seen flight attendents encouraging it.

mre5765 and Newscience like this.
  3. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember reading about this case when it first came out. She's going nowhere fast.

NYBanker and Newscience like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on what the swap is and when it happens. W&B is a very serious thing, event on mainline planes. And once the numbers are given to the pilots changing who is sitting where on the plane MAY cause a need to recalculate the numbers. The plane is split into zones containing sets of rows. The numbers are based on how many people are in each zone. Moving pax between zones should trigger a recalculation of the numbers.

Newscience and vickers like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm handily confused when uncommon acronyms are used without an explanation, or not explained by highlighting with the "Milepoint Wikipedia". According to the "Urban Dictionary", W&B means "wake and bake", or smoking a bowl of marijuana before going to school or work:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=W&B

cr34102 and vickers like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If that's your source of definitions then it is no surprise that you find yourself confused.

W&B is weight & balance and is commonly used in the industry. The UA statement said balance and weight so it inverted the words but given the context I thought it was clear. And searching online for "W&B airplane" offers up lots of links to relevant discussions, apps and insight. Sorry it was not clear to you.

IDGflygirl, genemk2 and Newscience like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth. I didnt realize a few people moving would have that much of an impact. Maybe thats why I never thought of it. I have seen people move to the row beside them, but not really forward or backwards. They are probably staying in the same zone.

Newscience likes this.
  8. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    lol never heard of or used the Urban Dictionary.

FetePerfection and Newscience like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Wandering Aramean! Although I am a frequent traveler, I am unfamiliar with terms that are uncommonly used and remain unexplained, and so such descriptions are quite appreciated! And the source I quoted for "W&B" came up with Google, so go figure! ;)

FetePerfection likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The power of SEO and a query without context.

I'm betting a lot more people online search for pot references than plane references on a regular basis.

satman40 likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Usually it doesn't matter at all, especially on larger planes. Each passenger is assigned a default weight and those weights, along with the bags underneath and the fuel in the tanks, must all be reconciled to ensure that the center of gravity for the plane remains inside a permitted window. If the CoG goes too far forward or backwards on the plane it can have catastrophic results. This is just one example of a commercial flight which crashed because of W&B issues. This is another. And, more recently, the cargo aircraft crash in Bagram, Afghanistan was believed to be caused by cargo shifting and moving the CoG during takeoff.

satman40 and vickers like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely more than meets the eye here.

The really shocking bit is this: "Her bags and her shocked friends went on to Alaska." I'd have thought her bags should have been offloaded.

Newscience likes this.
  13. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That she was told she would have to pay to change seats suggests that weight and balance wasn't the issue.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Newscience and MX like this.
  14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I have been thinking about this all day (yes it kept coming back to the forefront of my mind). Going from SEA to ANC for a ski trip. $109 for an upgrade to an empty exit row ain't bad. And she was going on a ski trip, probably to Girdwood, which ain't cheap. A lift ticket for Girdwood is probably about the same if not more. Why not pay the $109 for the upgrade. I sure as heck would.

Newscience, satman40 and MX like this.
  15. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If she had all day to think about it at leasure, she might've come to the same conclusion. But 30 sec under a verbal assault from a hostile FA is another situation. ;)

Newscience likes this.
  16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Based on the comments made by other witnesses at the time of the incident it seems unlikely this is what actually happened.
    Probably not in this particular case, though, as noted above, if someone moves on the plane after the pilots calculate the takeoff numbers it could matter. Not because the passenger cannot make the swap but because the numbers need to be recalculated.

satman40 likes this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This papers are full of spin.

Cops do not go out with out a cause.

No one goes in the court to lose a case

Big money is prepared for this case, this lady is operating on nothing but emotion.

The judge will give her a hearing before he gives her the boot.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976, Newscience, MX and 2 others like this.
  19. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would you advise the same to Rosa Parks?
    Sometimes it's good to stir things up a bit.

Newscience likes this.
  20. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good suggestion, but only if you're on the right side of history. Time will tell with this example, but from all accounts, it doesn't look good for the pax.

Dublin_rfk and MX like this.
  21. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, HMWT! A considerable better account than the OP. And there are absolutely "toxic flight crews" on UA flights, mostly the old CO crews. At least I have experienced such out of IAD, where obnoxious FAs have removed their name tags so that you can't name them in a complaint to UA. But it doesn't appear that this pax has much to stand on in a future legal battle with UA, should this occur.

MX likes this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, the weight and balance issue is probably a smokescreen, but perhaps likely one of the legal maneuvers that UA would use against the pax, should this whole imbroglio ever go to the courts.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    MX likes this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you seriously comparing someone not wanting to pay for a premium seat to systemic, government-enforced racism? :rolleyes:
    Pretty sure there is not a sCO base at IAD.

IDGflygirl and Steve GadFly like this.
  24. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was struck by the similarity of their statements: both women felt very tired, and just wanted to have a comfortable ride. Rosa Parks did not plan to fight government-enforced anything on that day. It's easy to make smug judgements 60 years after the fact, but one can never predict how history is going to unfold.

Newscience likes this.
  25. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    We can speculate on who is right or who is wrong but there are a few points that should be clear.

1) If it is not you stuff (seat), you cannot assume its alright to take it since its not claimed. At the very least, ask for permission

2) If your request was denied, it was never yours in the first place. A bakery with bread unsold at the end of the day may throw away the goods. Even if you were the last customer who just bought $50 worth of bread, this does not imply you can just walk back in, dump the $50 bread and grab others that worth $100 instead claiming that it will be wasted anyways. You can ask if the store can let you have it but it is their right to charge you $50 more.

3) If you did it anyway, and was caught, do not offer arguments that it is unclaimed anyways. Even if the bread does gets thrown away, it is never yours... Ask for forgiveness.

4) If the police has already been called, comply and do not make the matter worse. Saying I've placed the bread back can be a mitigating factor but does not absolved one from the initial deed. Resisting the law enforcement officers is never good advice regardless of the situation.

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.