Pax leaves sexist note for female pilot

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MSYgirl, Mar 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article]

Carey Smith Steacy, a Canadian airline pilot with 17 years of experience, apparently received a blunt and critical letter from a distraught passenger recently. But the issue was not the pilot’s flying style, penchant for finding mid-air turbulence or poor bedside manner.
    The issue at hand was the pilot’s ovaries, and the fact that she was not at home doting on children. Where, apparently, she is supposed to be.

"The cockpit of an airliner is no place for a woman,” reads a letter written on a napkin left aboard a Calgary flight to Victoria, B.C., obtained by Metro News. "A woman being a mother is the most honor. Not as 'captain.' Were (sic) short on mothers, not pilots WestJet."

The letter further contained reference to a biblical verse and concludes, “In the end, this is all mere vanity.”

2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One dark and stormy night.......my wife and I were near the YYZ airport having a coffee while watching the landings and takeoffs on a foggy and windy evening. At the time I had my radio/scanner with us in the car, and we could listen to the airport chatter between the pilots and ATC who were guiding them in for a landing. One Air Canada flight on a DC-9 had a missed approach and we heard the lady captain's voice tell ATC that they could not see the runway until almost the point of touchdown so they went around. ATC responded that other flights had managed to land in the fog, so this flight tried again with the same result. At that time the pilot came on and asked for a vector to Buffalo, as she thought that the minimums for the airport were below the 500 feet required and she wasn't going to risk trying a third attempt. She promptly got those headings and made her way towards BUF, and shortly afterwards we heard ATC advising other flights that the airport was now closed because of the high winds and extreme fog.

I'd rather have that lady or the one who received the recent note, on the flightdeck instead of a guy who thought he was so sure of himself that he wound up making a mess of the plane and all aboard it while attempting an impossible landing. Doesn't matter who's up front.....man or woman....if they know how to fly the bird, and the sense to not be so c***sure (pun intended) as to make a mess of it all.

gregm, iolaire, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is getting old,

Average man lets his little head do the thinking,

Average woman knows where she is going before she moves,

I play cards with my wife, and ask how she can decide so fast, she says I know the cards I need, you are trying to place the card you received.

I have a Commercial Pilots License.

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone once said, "We're all unique. Just like everyone else."

What type ratings do you have? I'm jealous, you're very lucky to be in the pilot's seat. (From a former wannabee who didn't get to go that far, but still loves all that flight embodies, and still gets a kick out of flying his MS FlightSIM 98, but not on Route 66.)

Yes, I'm getting older too.

gregm and satman40 like this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shotgun!

blackjack-21 likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    What year is this? Should being male or female dictate what jobs you can hold? It's bad enough there is still pay discrimination.
    I could hear other pax buzzing abut this as I was waiting to board in CAE yesterday.

blackjack-21 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    OOps. gregm beat me to it. JUMPSEAT!:D

Oh wait...Sometime in the late 1990's I was invited up to the cockpit (yeah I know, old term but it was before modern times and before 9-11) for a looksee and a chat with the crew while my wife and I were on a flight from YYZ-FLL on a CP (Canadian Airlines Int'l.) B737-200. The invite happened shortly after we had reached cruising altitude and somewhere probably over NJ or further south. I sat in the jumpseat then and had a long chat with the captain as the FO flew the plane southward. The plane was obviously very old, as the paint on the panel, control wheel, and generally in the cockpit had chipped away. But it was a very smooth flight, and I couldn't take my eyes off the instruments and controls as I talked with the captain. He was very helpful with his comments and thoughts and it made an interesting visit for me. Sadly, as I was leaving the flightdeck after about a thirty minute visit there, I asked him about a rumor that I'd heard that CP was hurting monetarily and did he think they'd be around much longer. He laughed and said he'd see me on this same flight a year or so from then.
    About a year later, CP was taken over by AC because of CP's financial problems. Too bad, as CP was a fine airline at the time (even a full, hot meal on this short afternoon flight). Therefore, Greg, since I've had more time in type, B737, same as the WestJet aircraft, even though I was in the jumpseat at that time too for about a half hour, don't you think I'm obviously much more qualified to be in the right seat on this flight?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  8. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    gregm said "What year is this? Should being male or female dictate what jobs you can hold? It's bad enough there is still pay discrimination."

Of course not Greg, however, I've never heard of a woman Sumo Wrestler but it's possible they're out there somewhere.

gregm likes this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know no woman who would be caught dead that 'outfit' so I guess we can exclude Sumo Wrestler! :cool:

blackjack-21 likes this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, considering some of the outfits that Miley Cyrus has been wearing, you never know. :D

gregm and blackjack-21 like this.
  11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Greg, now you're pit nicking. Ever see the "outfits" that lady hockey team goalies are wearing these days? Don't think they'd be hanging on the fashion racks of Neiman Marcus.

gregm likes this.
  12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    ;)

13. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sumo wrestler 'outfits' would cover up too much for her!!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Calling 'shotgun' or having 'dibs' does NOT take ones qualifications into account, my friend!!

blackjack-21 likes this.
  15. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course not, therefore I'm more type rated then you...especially in high school in MB, and at the Univ. of Fla., where in both cases I was usually the fastest to call "shotgun" when my fraternity brothers were racing to get into a car. Of course my being on the track team usually helped too. "Dibs" is for sissies.

And with hours and hours of non-qualifying time on my MSFS98, I'm eminently qualified to sit in either seat, mostly in the L class section (lav class, but I do try for overwing seating as it's usually a bit quieter and less bounce there in tubulance). However, as there's no peripheral vision in my FS as there's no side windows, I still have trouble lining up for a landing, hence a much further out straight in approach for greasing it in. But I'm working on it, and hope to have that problem solved before my eighth decade. Always happy to avail the flightdeck of my decidedly unqualified services if needed or called upon.