Patdown searches 'a necessary evil'

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by AmericanGirl, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    - Reuters
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/4767621/Patdown-searches-a-necessary-evil

Despite being annoying, uncomfortable and invasive, most travellers say security patdowns at airports are necessary, but not everyone is convinced they would be effective in deterring an attack.

Nearly 85 per cent of air passengers questioned in a global Ipsos/Reuters poll said the measures, which are considered by some to be a violation of human rights, are warranted but a hassle, although 40 of travellers say the measures would not catch anyone determined to cause harm.

Gargoyle and Chimpy like this.
  2. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never let it be said that ignorance is less of a problem on planes and at airports than elsewhere. This survey just goes toward showing how blissful ignorance by a large segment of the public can help maintain status quo stupidity from the government which is but an image of the public itself.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    A necessary evil? No. Just plane evil.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I appear to be at odds with 85% of air passengers... and I knew that anyway. [​IMG]

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A necessary evil or unnecessary evil? You decide.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the linked article says "air passengers," but the questions remain about how often they fly and/or whether they experienced the pat-downs themselves. Remember, the TSA likes to tout that only two or three percent of passengers experience a pat-down.

The problem with these surveys is that they always talk to people who read about issues being discussed and don't experience these things first-hand.

It's a lot like jails. People always say they want more jails built in their area. However, if the authorities suggest building a jail near someone's home, the idea of building that jail becomes a bad idea really quick. Classic NIMBY syndrome.

I guarantee you, if every passenger got the full pat-down every time they flew, those would be put to a halt quickly.

7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got my first full patdown and am even more disgusted with this organization than I have every been before. I think the woman doing it got an A in the training class and is proud of it. She didn't have a response when I asked her how she can come to work everyday and do this. I truly feel for victims of any sort of sexual abuse if they need or want to travel. Just disgusting