Pat Downs

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Traveller, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday was the second week in a row I was chosen for the scanner at SAT and both times I declined and was forced to have the pat down. Last week I told them I am gay and enjoyed it (I'm not and I didn't) and yesterday I didn't say a word but when my hands were over my head I kept both middle fingers in an upraised position. I hope they got a good picture of that.

2. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's one of the reasons it's hard for me to get Mrs. Cholula on the plane anymore. She's selected everytime now for the Nude-o-Scope and subsequent Grape™ due to her titanium shoulder.

And she doesn't like it one bit and I certainly don't blame her.

tahewett, essxjay and Gargoyle like this.
  3. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to go to pat down because I kept my credit cards in the pocket of my pants. I wasn't prepared to put them down someplace out of sight and out of reach while in the scanner.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tucked inside a carry-on bag is where I put mine, multiple zippers to get to it.

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like to keep mine a little handier, especially when I'm just walking around and don't have a bag.

6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't blame her, either.. These procedures are disgusting.

I've only been patted-down once, but the clerk at SJC did let me keep my wallet in my sight. I'm was surprised that they did not run in through the X-ray, as I had it in my back pocket..

7. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    My travel is mostly via train these days. Since the gropes got overly personal, I've only flown for two trips and luckily bypassed the selection or machines entirely. I know my luck won't hold. This idiocy just increases the stress related to travel.

8. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming that you've heard the news about TSA appearing at the super bowl? Apparently they are displaying the same attitude. Don't like it, don't attend :rolleyes:

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I knew they were in town, but they said the locals have the authority and they were just there to support if something were too happen (fat good they'd be!) ... seriously, they are doing patdowns on entrance, not locals or private security? That totally sux, they are just a total blight on our existence!

10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least the cargo will be screened :rolleyes:

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been patted down 4 times at SFO . Although I'd prefer to go through the UA checkpoint where they only have metal detectors, that just doesn't work late at night when it's closed, or early in the morning when the non-elite line there is 100+ long. Every time they pat me down they don't miss the opportunity to tell me that it's as safe as flying on an airplane. I ask them where the 5 and 10 year studies are showing that it's safe, and that I won't end up with brain cancer, and that seems to stop them from trying to convert me. I also point out that I flew 230,000 miles last year which would have me going through the naked scanners a lot more than a leisure traveler taking that once a year vacation.

When I went through yesterday they actually let me go through the metal detector. The two trips before they pulled me out of that line and sent me through the naked scanner. Have yet to set foot in one of those.

Tom in the Admiral's Club at DCA

12. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I won't step foot in one either, I'll always opt for the pat down....

savydog likes this.
  13. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of the airline I'm flying, I always go to the C checkpoint at CLT until it gets a back scatter.

Pat89339 likes this.
  14. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll do the pat down. TSA doesn't seem to like it any more than we do but for different reasons --> it takes more time, more hassle for them... I'll do what causes them more grief. [​IMG]

savydog and tahewett like this.
  15. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's weirdly sad to say this but I'm glad I don't have to fly in order to make a living. Mileage runs? Fergeit. Yessir, I miss flying and, yeh, I somewhat miss my status whoring ways, but I don't miss for a moment the ever crescendoeing erosion of our dignities and my personal liberty. The psyche has limits and I've come to respect mine. For now, it's Amtrak and non-TSA airlines. (Thank goodness YVR is relatively in reach.)

16. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At least you've got SeaPort Airlines :)

17. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dog Bless F5. :thumbsup:

18. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully they can get some more pax that are fed-up with TSA, and expand the route-map!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

essxjay likes this.
  19. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are close to setting up shop at DAL and perhaps ATL, in hot pursuit of more ESA contracts in the Muscle Shoals, Ala., metro area and some other spots.

I really need to start a wiki page on F5 here. (Actually, I started one over on The Other Board but kept getting interrupted/distracted with mod stuff.) I've discovered a small slew of alternatives to TSA-heavy carriers and perhaps that's the kind of original content MP needs right now. I'm pretty much spent on public kvetching about the TSA and furthermore want to, in whatever small way I can, reverse the dialog in the frequent flier community about what we don't have to what we do have and maybe can have again if we put our minds to it. IOW, spitting at the Berlin Wall doesn't do much to obviating it, but ingenuity and action might.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  20. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When there were four of us in line for patdowns at SFO last week (most I've ever seen---in the past it's been just me), one of the TSA screeners said that his coworkers tend to disappear when it comes time for pat downs. Maybe they're getting tired of the process, too.

21. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not good enough - and actually even worse. They are collecting a paycheck - their disappearing acts just makes the progress all the worse for the passengers that now have to wait to be abused because there is a shortage of people actually doing their job.

tahewett likes this.
  22. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to the Super Bowl last year and the security check was quite minimal.

23. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was last year. With Nappy in charge, I'm sure things will be different.

24. roslyn

roslyn Active Member

Status Points:
    I wear an underwire bra
    I have had the pat down every flight in the last 24 except for narita
    Id wear no bra but my husband said it would scare everyone[​IMG]

25. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not every underwire gets dinged, check out what other type of underwire might be available for you - I was fine for the longest time with underwire until I decided to travel in an exercise bra. I was peeved (this was a few years back) there was a metal placket, stupid!!
    The underwires I wear these days are not making the xray ding - thank g-d!