Passport verification needed to check-in online? How to get verification?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redwoman, Mar 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have asked for help on this at TOBB :p but I think it's getting buried in the massive integration post. Passengers there have reported that they weren't able to check in online because their passport needed to be verified by an airport employee, and this started to happen, I surmise, to PMUA customers who were "new" to the pss we're now using. A poster who seems to offer a lot of advice replied that the current pss requires verification every few months but I don't think s/he had enough info to be specific about the time interval.

I hardly ever fly internationally, but when I do I want to use OLCI. Can I just use my passport as form of ID to check in (at the counter at the airport, with a person) for domestic flights when I take them every few months? I'm hoping that my passport will be verified that way, and then I'll be able to do OLCI for the 1-2 international flights that I typically take each year.

uggboy likes this.
  2. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The verificati:)n of your passport occurs when it is used at a kiosk and the machine-readable text is read. I don't know whether moving it through for a domestic flight will work, but you can try. I can tell you that having an agent verify the document is not going to cause anything to change in the computer.

Also, at check-in for International flights booked via other carriers (ie not CO or UA ticket stock) but on UA metal the kiosk will not have access to the stored information and will have to be handled by a human.

uggboy, mtbroxs and redwoman like this.
  3. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Xyzzy, do you mean that even if I get my passport verified by having the UA kiosk read it, or by handing to the agent when I check my bags for a domestic flight, I still would get an error message if i ever I tried to check in online for an international flight UA metal, ticketed by UA (non-codeshare)? I guess I don't understand how or if passport info is stored in the current pss.

PMUA, I had my passport info saved in my MP account, and when I wanted to check in online for a UA operated international flight that I had purchased from ua.com, I was always able to do so. It sounded as if people are having trouble doing OLCI post-cutover, but perhaps people aren't posting all relevant information when they describe their problem. There's no way to tell. :(

uggboy likes this.
  4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea what happens with storing passport data when using a passport for a domestic-only itinerary. I suspect it does n:(t get stored, but I don't know. I do know that if you have, say an LH ticket for an international flight on UA metal y:eek:u'd find you have to show your passport to a UA agent to check in.
    I suspect the new system has but wants t;) verify passport info for passport info that was moved from the old UA system.

IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  5. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually you can check-in on-line just fine. What you can't do is get is a boarding pass without showing your passport to an agent. Scanning it at a kiosk doesn't work either, or at least not at EWR earlier this month.

Sunshine7 and uggboy like this.
  6. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    When one has a standard UA ticket you are correct, and a "This is not a boarding pass" page is shown. When attempting on-line check-in with an OAL ticket on UA metal I see "Your reservation requires special handling..." and can n:(t check in. This has happened to me multiple times.

uggboy likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that swiping it for a regular domestic trip will be sufficient to get the data in to the system such that it can be used on future international trips. Certainly doesn't hurt to try.

IDGflygirl, uggboy and redwoman like this.
  8. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm going to try giving the passport to an agent at the check-in counter when I fly to glamorous Cleveland in a few weeks. But it could be months before I know if it actually worked. I'll report back...at some point. :)

uggboy likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If the agent just reads it and types in your name it won't count. It has to actually be scanned in to the system.

uggboy likes this.
  10. Michael D

Michael D Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm making my first international flight on United since Mar 3 so I don't know what will happen when I try to get my boarding pass but it seems like in the past it took several bookings,; kiosk scannings for the system to get everything updated and then at least once for both my wife and I it lost the information. IOW it seems to me just hit and miss. My wife has a Chinese passport and the number format is different then the US. They caused a problem for at least a year with online check in boarding passes.

uggboy likes this.
  11. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this for all intl tickets -- I have a trip that involves a visa and got this message, so thought it was specific to when you have extra documentation that needs to be verified. For some reason I remember 'normal' international itineraries printing a boarding pass with seat assignment but some 'verify passport' or something like that on it.

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The old Continental systems (which are the new United systems) wants a scan of the machine-readable text from the passport to issue a BP for ANY international departure. I'm guessing it saves them potential issues where someone didn't get checked even though the BP says "CHK DOCS" or whatever and then gets to the destination and has issues.

LizzyDragon84, desamo and redwoman like this.
  13. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I finally answered my own question by looking for something else on United Hub. First off WA, your answers agree with United's, so nothing has changed in the "old CO system" post-cutover.

The passport info was lumped in with instructions about using a check-in kiosk, which I never needed to read. It doesn't say anything about needing to re-scan your passport every few months,, so hopefully if i can scan it at a kiosk in the next few weeks when I travel domestically, it will be saved and I'll be able to get a BP online when I travel internationally. And, thanks to WA I know to ask the agent to verify the passport, not just type my name in to check me in.

Thumbs down to united.com: this info isn't anywhere under "passports" or "travel advice" on united.com nor could i get anything useful out of Alex on this subject. Instead, it's here: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Mobile-Digital/Pages/check-in-options-the-airport-kiosk.aspx

From united hub:
    A note about passports: There are two changes to the check-in process that you should be aware of if you’re used to traveling with United:
    1. If you’re a United customer and are booked on an international flight, you no longer need to enter your passport information manually when you check in. To store your passport information for later use during online check-in, you must first swipe your passport at an airport kiosk or hand it to an airport representative for validation. This means that customers that didn’t have their passport stored in the Continental system will not receive their boarding pass right away until their passport has been swiped or verified by an agent.
    2. You can store only one passport at a time in our system.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    redwoman, awesome find!

I'm hoping this means I can just go down and have my pp swiped once and it'll be in the system for good.

I have nine booked trips on UA through the end of the year and 8 of them are international.

redwoman likes this.
  15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:

Ha! This is CO's systems, so good luck.

We've tried getting my other half's passport in the system since we renewed it late last year.

Int'l Trip #1, we both get the OLCI "This is not a boarding pass" and swipe it at the kiosk at the airport, no problem, right? Return was on OAL, so we had no data point there.

Int'l Trip #2, I'm good at OLCI, but she's still getting the prompt. I realize that we were on my miles on the previous one, so she had my OP number on her BP (CO system limitation ya know?). So she swipes again and think we're good, right?

Well, we take a bump and get rebooked/rerouted. There goes the OLCI with kiosk swipe validation. Gate agent enters the passport for the rebook.

Sure enough, for the return, she gets "This is not a boarding pass" again. Of course this int'l station had no kiosks, so it's could not be fixed on the return.

16. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this may be something else. An OAL-issued ticket will not auto-sync with SHARES, so you will not be able to check in online or at a kiosk if the flight is issued on OAL stock (this includes domestic itins as well).

I understand that some of the ex-UA hubs have added FTE positions in the back office who manually sync OAL tickets all day because UA gets so many of these types of tickets.

desamo likes this.
  17. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure that's what the issue is on that kind of ticket. That's why I menti:)ned it.

18. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, I finally have proof: swiping your passport in a kiosk on a domestic trip DOES NOT STORE YOUR DATA.

I swiped it April 13 and 15, April 27 and 30, August 1, 11, 14 and 16 and when I tried to do OLCI for my SFO-FRA flight on sep 5 only 3 weeks later on a D fare as a 1 K with 4 open seats in F on the 747 I was dropped YES ENTIRELY DROPPED FROM THE UG LIST. Why? Because I couldn't check in online and get on the list, despite an email at exactly T-24 from UA telling me to rest assured that I would remain on the UG list with my original priority. My husband was also entirely dropped from the UG WL because he couldn't do OLCI either, despite the fact that I forced him to swipe his passport on his domestic trips on the same August dates as mine.

My sweet 2A seat went to some undeserving slob, I'm sure... :p. poor husband was stuck in row 24 next to someone who hadn't showered recently.

Sunshine7 likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting (not in a good way) that you were dropped completely. I recently got the "Not a boarding pass" thing on the return flight of an international trip. I almost missed the upgrade but I did end up on the standby list once I checked in at FRA with an agent. See http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/upgrade-standby-priority-for-gpus.44741/

Sunshine7 likes this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Any chance either of you have more than one passport or a non-US issued passport?

redwoman and IDGflygirl like this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both. The more the better. Or not, apparently :confused:

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Having more than one passport in the UA system pretty much guarantees this will never work for you as I understand it. Sorry. :(

23. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, I have only one passport, issued by USA. The only one I have ever used.

I sent an email to 1kvoice to describe what happened (omitting the grumbling from my post here) and asked what I could have done differently to ensure that I was added to the airport UG wait list. They didn't answer my question but they did give me and my husband 10K RDMs each for our trouble. It seems that for whatever reason, we checked in at the airport with an agent (no kiosks at SFO intnl C/1K line) and we just didn't get added to the list. It just didn't work that time.

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I made sure to ask the agent at FRA when I checked in whether I was added to the list, and when she started typing and hemming and hawing, I pulled out my iPhone and checked the list myself and got the answer quicker than she did with her terminal :)