Passport stamps in EU. Couldn't answer Mrs. 744's question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Oct 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the first time she has stumped me, but any who:

We're going to FCO next week, and she was flipping through her passport today and said it looked like the only place we ever go is MUC or FRA. We fly LH, so our EU point of entry is always germany.

She was asking me if its possible to get an entry or exit (or both) stamp from our final destination cities as a "souvenir" just like it used to be in pre EU days. Sounds like more work, but can someone confirm if its possible or not?

jbcarioca and lin821 like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't even know where you'd go to get one once inside the "real" destination country. It might be possible but I'd chalk it up to way more effort than it is worth. The fact that the only difference is the country code in the corner (unlike days of yore where the stamps were also unique) and I'd say it really isn't worth it.

jbcarioca and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Buy a refundable ticket from FCO to a non-Schengen location. Go through exit passport control, then re-enter Italy (collect stamp.... and possibly explain that you forgot to give a friend something) and refund the ticket. Way, way too much hassle IMO.

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was an easy way to do this. Fortunately there isn't, and its one less thing I have to worry about. She can take a picture of the airport when we taxi up to the gate.

NYBanker, jbcarioca, lin821 and 2 others like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even many first point of entry Schengen airports often do not stamp passports from uncontroversial countries (e.g. Canada) and some usually stamp no passports that do not require visas. I have not once had my Brazilian passport stamped on Schengen entry except for Germany and Spain. There is no way to get stamps AFAIK from intra-Schengen flights or other travel.

OY-JFS and NYBanker like this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like the best plan!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in a Schengen state and while flying to a Non-Schengen destination, I ask everytime whether they could stamp my passport. In 8 of 10 cases, my request is declined :(

OY-JFS, Lufthansa Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One option :) is to include a visit to either Liechtenstein or San Marino in each European itinerary.

OY-JFS, Lufthansa Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  9. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the San Marino stamp last year. It is a souvenir stamp that you pay around 5 euros for at visitor information. I also searched and asked all around the Vatican with no luck of any stamp!

OY-JFS likes this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no immigration process in either of those nor Andorra or Vatican City. One simply drives in and out. Without road signs there is no way to know when you're entering or leaving one of them.

11. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same with San Marino

12. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I asked in CDG while enrt to Austria. They refused.

13. I've heard, but never tried, that stamps for your current country can be obtained at your home embassy within that country. So, for example, if I, as a US citizen, flew into Germany then drove to Austria that there's a chance I could get an Austrian stamp if I visited the US embassy in Austria.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.