Passport renewal and Global Entry - Heads up

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dhammer53, May 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you renew or replace your passport, that information does not get ported over into GE, and your GE and pre-check will stop working without explanation at the original expiration date of your passport.

You have to go back into the GOES profile you used to sign up for GE and update the information yourself. TSA will not tell you this (TSA said the airline must not have put in the known traveler ID correctly; airline said it was TSA's fault), nor will they notify you when the passport you don't have any more "expires."

Cochiti, iolaire, anileze and 7 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up on GE/GOES and a new passport! Knowing how TSA operates, this isn't a huge surprise! :(

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. CBP also told me to drop in for a new sticker in my passport when I received the new one (although that was a couple years ago, and so I don't know if they still put stickers in them). Fortunately, I was only about a year out from passport replacement when I first got GE and the nice agent told me what I would need to do.

IDGflygirl and Newscience like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know beating up the TSA is popular (and perhaps deserved in many cases), but is this really TSA's fault? They don't maintain the GOES profile. If you get a new passport, issued by the US State Department, they would presumably transmit that information to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in the Department of Homeland Security, which appears to be running the GOES system.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I got my new passport recently, I went into my GOES account and entered the new passport number. Finding where to do this was not intuitive, but IIRC I went through the instructions/links in their FAQs, and it was ultimately quick and easy. When I flew then the next time, a week or two later, I had PreCheck as expected. On my next international trip, the GE kiosk recognized me with no problem.

Newscience likes this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO, the entire GOES system is not set up to be intuitive. The website is confusing and if you click any links it opens a new tab and takes you to a different website that is somehow equally incomprehensible. That said, maybe they do it on purpose to limit the number of applications?

On my trip back from BON, my travel companion did not have the CBP sticker in his passport (I do), but he used the global entry kiosk just fine. Is the sticker for visual identification? What is the purpose of it if the electronic portions of the passport point to your GE, or have they ceased this process?

Fortunately I had only had my passport for about a year when I got GE so I'll be replacing that long before I need a new passport. I almost wonder if by then you won't need the separate card for GE.

anileze and Newscience like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Really? I visited the GOES site yesterday to update my address (when I came across this thread and realized that I hadn't done that yet) and found it pretty easy to use. Certainly "competitive" with the various airline/hotel sites I use on a regular basis.

anileze likes this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    @dhammer53 thanks for saving my chicken tikka masala ;) :)

9. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought they did away with the stickers?

anileze likes this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not get a sticker. Also last week my wife was having problems scanning her passport so she tried to look it up manually at the kiosk and the info looked correct but it said she was not a member, so she found a kiosk that worked... We also checked bags (with friends) and was reminded why its pointless to check bags with GE and no status, you still have to wait forever to pickup your bags. But not as long as our friends, we had all the bags on the cart by the time they got out.

11. StSebastian

StSebastian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to do this last year since my passport expired a few months after getting GE set up in the first place. I had no problem getting it updated and applied for Precheck and GE on my next trips.

The CBP agent at my signup put the sticker in my old passport and told me that they were going to stop putting the stickers in the back as one of the cost-saving measures from the Sequester, so that if I got an X at the kiosk just hold up the blank back page of the new passport (even without the sticker in there) to signify a GE member that had been blocked by the kiosk. I've also had to do that on a return (even with GE I still get stopped) and it worked as well as could have been expected.

12. marcs1

marcs1 Active Member

Status Points:
    THANKS for posting this. I was unaware of the need to do this.
    It was very easy to do on the website.

anileze likes this.
  13. TravelinWilly

TravelinWilly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick datapoint: I re-upped for GE at IAD earlier this week and I asked what I do when I get a new passport, and was told explicitly that I would need to log into GOES to enter the new passport number, and at that point GE info. would convey.

I also asked if I needed a new sticker, and they told me the stickers were no longer in use.

My point being that when I asked, they provided correct info., but as dhammer53 notes, they are NOT proactive in telling us this.

anileze likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As a heads up, if you use GE with a green card and it has an extension sticker on the back, updating GOES with a new expiration date won't do you any good. The card scanner will reject the card due the expiration date on the front of the card.

15. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. At the same time, remember to update any airline accounts with the new information as well.