Passport help

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by egar2019, Jul 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Status Points:
    This has probably been answered in a different thread - I did try searching but couldn't find anything.....I am trying to assist a family member in obtaining a passport. They have lost their expired passport (no copies, etc.)...my understanding is that a birth certificate is now required when applying for a passport.. This (I'm guessing) will probably be very difficult to obtain. Are there any alternatives for this? We intend to travel in around a month.

Note: I don't live in a city with a regional passport office.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

eg

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

With a lost passport, it's the same as applying for a new passport, so a birth certificate (or other proof of citizenship) will be required or you'll have to present Secondary Evidence which is often more difficult that acquiring a birth certificate. Typically, though, birth certificates are easy to obtain if you know where you were born - the counties have in many cases converted them to electronic records at this point. Why are you assuming it will be difficult?

LETTERBOY and jbcarioca like this.
  3. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Status Points:

Thanks for the information. I thought it might be very time consuming but perhaps not...I'll try reaching out to the local office.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you know the city/county/hospital of birth registration you'll find the birth certificate very quickly and can almost always pay for expedited transmittal of an original stamped/embossed birth certificate.
    ...just as Mike Reed says. I had to do that twice for different purposes and obtained mine by courier in two days paying by credit card. Of course I was born long long ago in a then rural part of what is now the Los Angeles area. It took me a while to find the correct place but I had no problem. The passport office will not help, otehr than to tell you you need the documents. If you'll be flying very soon you can pay for expedited issuance too.

5. egar2019

egar2019 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I think we have everything that is needed. I didn't realize what a pain it is finding an appointment at the postal office. I literally had to call ten of them (half didn't answer) and ended up getting an appointment at an office around 30 miles away - most of the others were not accepting appointments until September.

jbcarioca likes this.