Passport for Infant?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dad to GO, Jan 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey Everyone,

Curious about people's experience getting a passport for an infant. We are planning to take our 5 month old with us to Germany & Italy in May and from what I understand we'll need to get him a passport. Is this true? Does anyone have some input on this?

Thanks!

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, true. Getting the picture is the funny part. I believe you need SSN first (and long version of birth certificate), so get on that as soon as they are born. I have a post on getting kid passport somewhere, and I think Points Miles and Martinis wrote about his experience getting one for his infant as well (though I could be wrong about that part).

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's funny because we got our son one and he doesn't look anything like the picture anymore (he's 3 now). :)

Kalboz, jbcarioca and Dad to GO like this.
  5. WilCo
    Original Member

WilCo Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least at the us embassy, they gave us a few good tips for getting the picture. Have husband wear white shirt and hold infant. Parent face cannot be in picture, but can use hands to keep baby face straight.
    So for its, looks like I'm strangling our son. This was at 10 months. The 2 month picture was easier. We put a white sheet in a baby papasan and took it that way.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and MX like this.
  6. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and FYI flying with a five month old is super easy. It is a great age to fly with your kid. Helpful tip ask your pediatrician for the ear drops you get when kiddo has an ear infection. If baby can't handle air pressure change and nursing doesn't help drop a couple drops in each ear. It numbs the pain.

7. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great, Thanks! I am definitely looking forward to attempting to get a picture that is "acceptable" by U.S. State Dept. :p

That's what I was thinking... his picture at 2 months old is going to look nothing like 3, 4, or 5 years of age.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  8. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our issue was the rules say no smiling(wtf?), and the little guy to the left couldn't stop hamming it up for the camera. Finally got a half smirk and that worked.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in the least, but if he needs a passport, he needs a picture... :)

My son's passport picture was taken sometime around when he was 6 or 7 months old. He looks more or less like any other baby that age.

x1.JPG

Nowadays I look at those pictures and I'm wondering if I didn't pick up the wrong boy at the daycare at some point, and he's only 2 1/2.

x2.jpg

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that will be the last time he has enough legroom on a CR7 in Y. :)

chrislacey, Kalboz, rwoman and 8 others like this.
  10. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just got our 5 year old sons pasport renewed, two dificulties with kids and passports, 1 they only last 5 years, 2 both parents need ot goto the passport office along with the kid to turn in. also you need origional copy of birth certificate.

Kalboz, Singapore Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  11. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could also get one parent signed and certified/notarized so only need one parent if it is really an issue.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  12. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    My son got his first passport at 11 months and it's getting ready to expire. We're about to send in for the renewal and he's terribly excited about getting his "big boy pass". :)

Kalboz, Singapore Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My daughter got her passport at six days of age and we went JFK-ATH-THR immediately after. Luckily in F with a nice bassinet. She travelled well then and still does at age 40. She did not much care for her passport photo at age 5, so was quite happy to have a renewal.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a passport is required ... kids under 16 years will be issued a 5-year passport. All you need is both parents to be present at time of application, completed form (from post office or online), birth certificate showing the same present parents (otherwise it will be more complicated), passport photo (Costco charges less than $6), and, of course, your check book :D You may apply at many post offices or any location that offers this service
    [​IMG]
    The kids traveling in business to Southeast Asia on OZ203 - My girl was 10 months & the boy was 3.5 years: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/with/6592674299/#photo_6592674299

viguera and Singapore Flyer like this.
  15. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like I should get my 1 year old daughter a passport just in case even though I don't see any international travel for at least a year. Although I can see a last second Bahamas trip since we live in South Florida and my wife's good friend grew up in the Bahamas and keeps telling us we should all go together. My next project with the lil' lady.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. broncob
    Original Member

broncob Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter had her picture taken when she was about a month old. They had my husband sit down in the chair and hold her and then they threw a sheet over him for the 'white background' (his hands were covered as well). It worked and you can't really tell in the picture unless you know what you are looking for. I am surprised they let your hands be in the shot, but that must be an interesting photo :)

Kalboz likes this.
  17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my hand in the pic for my kids first passport 20 years ago. I hated having to renew it every 5 years.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my first passport as an infant apparently before I could sit up very well. My parents tell me that it was hysterical trying to get the photo taken because they'd prop me up in a chair and then get out of the way only to have me keel over every time the photographer went to shoot.

The renewal a few years later likely went better, but I must have really taken the no smiling mandate to heart, because I look like the saddest little world traveler in the next photo.

Kalboz and skyvan like this.
  19. babykoala

babykoala New Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the tips. i will dress in white.

Kalboz likes this.