Passport expiring before visas/global entry/etc

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by thegrailer, Apr 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I am less than a year away from having my passport expire and I have

1) a Brazilian visa that doesn't expire for years. Can this be transferred to my new passport? Back to the consulate? I'd prefer not to pay again.

2) a CBP sticker [global entry] that has been checked a couple of times on my way through immigration/customs. Agents rarely check but It has happened. How do I get a new sticker? Peel it off and restick?

Cheers -

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have 5 years on my passport but I will soon run out of pages and I have already had additional pages stitched in so I think that I may need to get a new one, which will put me in the same situation: (a) an Argentine visa that is good until 2021 and (b) CBP sticker that I thought was just cosmetic until it was checked one time to verify that I was approved for Global Entry.

I suspect that we'll lose both with a new passport, but they should be easy to get back - keep the visa number and try to get a new one the next time you visit the country that issued it, and stop by CBP offices at major US airports to request another sticker...

3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the Argentine visa, just take both the old passport with the visa in it and your new one and show both when clearing immigration in Argentina. This same technique also works with a lot of other visas (but not all!) from other countries whose expiration date is past the validity of the passport.

Correction: I used the word "visa" in this post, but Argentina doesn't issue visas to most fee-paying folks since it's not required. My apologies for causing any confusion.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does make sense... I'd actually forgotten that I get to keep my old passport...

5. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've done the same thing with my Brazilian visa. Just bring both passports and you should be fine.

6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just drop by any CBP airport office and they will give you another CBP sticker. Only takes a second.

7. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting idea about carrying both passports. Any problems with the gate agents?

8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gate agents may need to see both. Depending on the country, just showing your current passport will be fine since the "visa" is just proof that you've paid the reciprocal fee.

rwoman likes this.
  9. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hear you but I would hate to be at the gate where some agent having a bad day is in no mood to think :eek:

10. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you still get your old passport back? Seems I have heard they no longer return the old one. I hope I am wrong as I like to keep my old one to help figure where the hell I was in 20XX

11. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well according to http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html
    Q:I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?
    a:Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

rwoman, LizzyDragon84 and NYCUA1K like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before I knew that one gets the old passport back, I had about 20 additional pages stitched into my old one simply because I had so many cool visas/stamps (my "trophies") from various countries (e.g., Russian Federation) that I was afraid I would never see again. You can imagine my delight when I learned from the same FAQ ads above that I would get to keep the old passport, which is now fit for a travel museum as the extra pages that I had added have significantly increased the number of "trophies"...:)

rwoman, LizzyDragon84 and traveler like this.
  13. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have many trophies including the fun to obtain Russian Federation. I remember being asked on the Russian Visa application to list all countries visited and dates- whew

rwoman and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  14. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In the case of a country charging a reciprocal fee like Argentina and several other S. American countries, the agent only needs to see a current passport, not proof of payment. Showing both passports could lead to confusion.

As for visas, maybe a printout from Timatic might help when dealing with a confused agent.

rwoman and traveler like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds about right. For Argentina, the visa is issued upon arrival and it costs $140USD, so that prior evidence that one has a valid visa is not necessary before departure. The place to show the old passport if it still has a valid visa, then, is when you get there. Showing both passports to a gate agent in the US is more likely to be confusing than helpful...

traveler and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  16. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. But at the risk of sounding horribly pedantic, Argentina does not issue a visa on arrival for US citizens as it not required. In fact, if you enter Argentina at a land/ferry crossing or any airport outside Buenos Aires, no fee is required and they just stamp you in. When I entered Argentina at EZE last year, I had to go to the fee booth first. They put a full page sticker on one of the amendment pages on the back of the passport indicating I paid the fee and that I don't need to pay again for ten years. Nothing on the sticker says visa or anything to that effect. I then went through immigration who stamped me in.

Several other S. American countries also do the same thing of charging a reciprocal fee only at some points of entry. For example, I avoided the Chilean fee by entering the country at IPC rather then SCL.

Edit: I corrected my earlier post where I mention the Argentina visa. Sorry about any confusion I may have caused.

rwoman, NYCUA1K and traveler like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, technicalities but thanks for the clarification:
    whatever one wishes to call it, it seems to me that the full page sticker, which is NOT on the amendment page in my passport, could just as well as have been called a "visa" that is valid for 10 years :D .... I was not aware that it is issued only if you enter by air...

traveler and LizzyDragon84 like this.
  18. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was odd they stuck the sticker on the amendment page. But I'm glad they did- I'm not using the amendment pages for anything and I'm starting to get low on the regular pages.

NYCUA1K and traveler like this.
  19. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that when I have gone to countries that required one to obtain a visa in advance, e.g., Brazil and China, the gate agents weren't letting me on the plane without seeing the visa. In fact, the UA agent that couldn't find my Chinese visa got all pissy with me asking how I expected to get in without one. My Chinese visa was on one of my extra pages which the agent skipped as she rifled through my passport looking and this agent just didn't seem to care to look there. Thoughts?

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thoughts? Yes, just calmly take your passport back and find the page where the visa is for the agent. Or better, yet, be proactive and open it on the right page and hand it that way, especially if you have as many visas as I now have in my passport (at least 5 for China; I have now been getting multiple entry visas for China that last the entire year - they give it without questions asked -- as each takes the entire page!).

A gate agent who does not check to ensure that you have a valid visa for a country that requires one could be fired for dereliction of duty as the airline would be responsible for bringing you back if you get to destination and your travel papers are not in order. It is why online check-in is not allowed for most international destinations -- one must go to the check in counter and the agent would check to see that your passport and, if required, the visa are kosher. The way I see it is that the agents are covering both their asses and the passengers'. If you wish to be adventurous, try entering the Russian Federation without a valid visa...

LizzyDragon84 and wrxmom like this.
  21. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    In brief - The answers above speak of what might happen if one goes to Argentina. The answers also speak about showing two passports to a GA. The answers further speak about the confusion that might occur if a GA sees two passports. I mentioned that I would be concerned about a GA in a bad mood having to think. I reported an incident where a UA GA got all pissy because she couldn't find my Chinese visa in my extra passport pages. This report about a country where a visa is required prior to entry and the GA looking for it was in reply to an answer which mentions Argentina [no visa requirement prior to entry] and confused GAs [a GA that cannot find a visa because she doesn’t know to look in the new pages of a passport is a confused GA]

My mistake for leaving an open ended question.

22. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I answered earlier, but I didn't reply to your specific post, and I'm sure it got lost in the multiple posts.

I got a Brazilian visa for a trip in the summer of 2009. The passport which had the visa in it expired in 2010. I got a new passport, and in 2011 I made another trip to Brazil. I did some research at the time and found out that if I brought both the old passport (with the visa) along with my new passport I would be fine. If I remember correctly, I do think the airline agent checked the visa in the old passport as well as my new passport.

Hopefully that helps. I'm glad I got that Brazilian visa before some of the changes that I've heard have occurred in securing a Brazilian visa (personally visiting a Brazilian consulate or paying a company to visit one for you instead of just mailing in your application - I've just heard that's what's required now, I haven't had any experience with it).

thegrailer and NYCUA1K like this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    "A gate agent who does not check to ensure that you have a valid visa for a country that requires one could be fired for dereliction of duty as the airline would be responsible for bringing you back if you get to destination and your travel papers are not in order. It is why online check-in is not allowed for most international destinations -- one must go to the check in counter and the agent would check to see that your passport and, if required, the visa are kosher. The way I see it is that the agents are covering both their asses and the passengers'."

"Thoughts? Yes, just calmly take your passport back and find the page where the visa is for the agent. Or better, yet, be proactive and open it on the right page and hand it that way, especially if you have as many visas as I now have in my passport (at least 5 for China; I have now been getting multiple entry visas for China that last the entire year - they give it without questions asked -- as each takes the entire page!)."

Several people chimed in with useful suggestions, some of which involved Argentina but were just as relevant to your query, and then there was also a response specifically for Brazil:

24. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Amendment Page has two entries: One indicating that the passport is a replacement of one that I had temporarily misplaced [found it later but it was no longer any good because I already had the replacement], and the other indicating that the passport has had additional pages stitched into it.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  25. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks -

Living in the DC area, a trip to the Brazilian consulate is just a walk away - but the lines are huge and it turns into a half-day adventure. I have wanted to avoid that (and any additional fees)

Cheers -