Passport Change on Itinerary

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by manfromkrypton, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently booked 4 tickets on the same itinerary for my parents, my brother and me to fly on United from Chicago to Canada. During the booking process, I entered all our passport information. This was about 3 months ago, for a trip we are making next month.

My mother recently changed her citizenship, so now she has a new passport and details. Will I be able to update our itinerary with her new passport information? I couldnt figure out how to do it on the United website, and I've been on hold for 45 mins on the phone, and at this point, ready to hang up.

So basically looking to see if anyone has any idea if I can make the change, or if I have to cancel the ticket and buy it again for her.

thanks in advance!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Change/View Existing Reservations >>
    View Reservation >>
    Scroll down to section on "Traveler(s)" >>
    Click "Edit traveler information"

3. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I've been trying to update my Avis number under Edit traveler information for weeks and it doesn't work. UA told me to call their Web Customer Support team. I haven't successfully called yet bc I get tired of waiting on the phone.

I'm sorry you are experiencing difficulties with United.com. Since your question involves an issue with our web site, please contact our Web Customer Support team at 800-579-3958.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't worry about it. You're going to have to show the passport at the airport anyways to get properly checked in and they'll put in the new information then.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the traveling parties are coming to the US on a foreign passport, then I seem to recall that the DHS-TSA guidlelines are that the traveler information needs to be verified ahead of time for ESTA. Further information can be at these links. So do try and have your info updated with United if possible.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your help guys. I tried to use the instruction above but it didnt seem to work. I will keep trying to call United - I already called like 3 times, and I hung up after holding for about 25-30 mins each time. My time is more valuable than that.

For clarification, my mom used to have a foreign passport (but was a green card holder) and now she finally got US citizenship. We are traveling US - Canada, so I am hoping that it wont be an issue to put in her new US passport information.

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will need to show your passport at the airport anyway, so I wouldn't bother calling. Makes zero difference whether you do it ahead of time or not.

Wandering Aramean and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm with chitownflyer & genemk2 on this... If it's an U.S Passport then no issues however if it's another country's passport then you might have an issue with the ESTA.

9. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    You will also have to give them Passport info again during OLCI.

I think you'll be fine if you just wait it out until then.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is a 95%+ chance that the OLCI process is going to end in "This is not a boarding pass" so I wouldn't even bother.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    DO worry about it.The TSA often causes grief whenever the TSA Secure flight data does not match the airline supplied data. Sadly, I knwo taht from personal experience.
    If your mother still has her foreign passport you do have an explanation, but the new US passport is now the only acceptable documentation for the TSA. Thus, you must ensure that the UA identification data does include the new passport number.

Sorry to say it, but i think the people who suggest being casual have never dealt with a naturalization issue nor multiple passports. My spouse and I both have made mistakes in this respect and learned from them.

12. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Secure Flight data (which needs to be supplied in advance) only includes Gender & Date of Birth.

APIS data (which includes Passport number) does not need to be supplied until Check-In.

genemk2 and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not really.

The TSA agents you actually deal with are just the folks checking IDs. They have no idea what your nationality is and so long as the old passport isn't expired they should accept it. If the DoB and gender are accurate then you'll deal with the other passport data at the check-in counter. There really is nothing to be worried about.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, but... the Secure Flight name must exactly match the name in the travel document used to check in, and the one on the PNR. The APIS data is transmitted together with the aircraft manifest just prior to departure, also true, but... if there is any discrepancy between the APIS data and the Secure flight data there can be a mess.
    For that reason anyone who either has a naturalization or a new passport or multiple passports has additional risk unless all the data is precisely matched prior to going to the airport.

The problems that have happened to my own family (no third parties, just us, all in my own presence) are, among other things:
    1. Airline entered name with all correct names but with two of four names shown as surname. This nearly had a denied boarding, but only ended up with a long discussion with US Immigration, making us miss a connection;
    2. Airline checkin agent entered passport number for departing country rather than US. Another discussion ensued on arrival.
    3. After successfully entering US departure boarding pass was delayed, initially denied, because of assertion that the person traveling was not person arriving.

These three events, and others, all happened because we had not entered and reconciled all the data precisely prior to arriving at the departure airport. Required, no. necessary, yes, unless you enjoy hassles like these.

The eventual final solution for us was to sign us both for Global Entry which produces a firm immutable combination of name passport number and other particulars that airline agents and other parties do not change. Short fo that, entering the exact information in the airline FF database produces a similar end. Short of doing that errors can and do happen.

I know YMMV. I also know these practices are not legal requirements. They are easy steps to simplify life and reduce errors. Naturalized US citizens are particularly common recipients of human error from checkin agents, TSA and other people. Why not improve your odds by doing everything possible to reduce errors?

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The US officially will not allow the use of a non-US passport by a US citizen for entering the US. The document used in the US for a US citizen ID for an international flight is also the US ID. Non-US issued ID may not be used by US citizens for that purpose. Airlines do, in the case of flight to countries that require US citizens to have a visa but do not require a visa for another passport held by the passenger, allow the non-US travel document to be used as proof of visa (usually entering the foreign passport number in the visa number position in their passenger documentation system.

This issue has nothing to do at all with the TSA security line, where the agents are normally clueless and don't even accurately verify the match between boarding pass and travel ID. This issue is entirely about entry and exit from the US.

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would anyone not want to get this resolved early on? Documents for international travel (and communication to the airline) are not a great place to mess around.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure the people advising you that there will be no problem have knowledge superior to mine. But it's my personal belief that each airline and government agency maintains a separate department with the sole responsibility to deny me, LarryInNYC, boarding to any airplane. I would do my very best to ensure that I got the information updated before going to the airport. If that wasn't possible, I'd leave plenty of time.at the airport.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct (though some folks do it). That has nothing to do with the TSA.

Again, not the TSA.

And for that they will simply deal with presenting the proper document at the counter at the airport.

Apparently waiting on hold was too much work for someone so they didn't want to deal with it. I am of the belief that it won't be a big deal. I've laid out my reasons why.

aptraveler, genemk2 and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not want to be obstreperous but I am concerned that somebody might think it is possible for a US citizen to enter the US without a US travel document. With the exception of a few arcane cases not likely to apply to MilePointers and the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html it is NOT legal to enter the US as a US citizen without using a US passport.

"Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

US Permanent Residents (Green Card) are among the very few who do not need a passport to enter the US. The Green card itself is the US entry authorization, although most CBP offers do stamp the passports fo green card holders and often request the passports if not presented.

For newly minted Green Card holders and newly naturalized US citizens the rules are usually strictly enforced.

Of course US military, some UN diplomats and a handful of other arcane cases are subject to different rules.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This still has nothing to do with the OP or their predicament. Nor does it have anything to do with the TSA, as was claimed previously. The passenger in question is originating travel in the USA. They will present their correct passport at the counter and that agent will update APIS and issue the BP. On the return the passenger will present the same passport at the counter again and will, once again, get a BP.

Should the passenger feel so inclined they can present any valid government ID to the TSA agents. So long as the name matches it should be fine. The previous claim that, " ...[T]he new US passport is now the only acceptable documentation for the TSA," is simply untrue.

I know dual citizens who use their "other" passport when entering the USA. I know that is not kosher but it happens. That's why I put that caveat in my previous post. Que sera sera.

aptraveler, genemk2 and jbcarioca like this.
  21. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Not necessarily -- the PNR Name will not always match the Secure Flight name. For example: Middle name in Secure Flight Name, but not in the PNR Name; Long Name that exceeds the PNR Name length limit; Title/Suffix in the PNR Name, etc.

There are multiple data elements at play here, each of which is independent:

May or may not be changeable, depending on carrier's policies and system limitations:
    1. PNR Name​

Should be provided/changed at least 72 hours in advance, but can be changed at the check-in:
    2. Secure Flight Name
    3. Secure Flight Gender
    4. Secure Flight Date of Birth​

Does not have to be provided in advance of the check-in:
    5. APIS Name
    6. APIS Citizenship
    7. APIS Passport Number​

From the OP's post, it appears that they only wanted to update the APIS items #6 & #7, so there should be no issue:

genemk2 and jbcarioca like this.
  22. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just want to say thank you to everyone here on this thread for your input. It sounds like to be safe, I should just call and get it changed - and at some point, I hope I get to a CS rep without being on hold for 30 mins. Worst case scenario, if I don't, I can do it at the airport.

I appreciate everyone's help; thank you so much!