Passport 101: How to apply, renew or replace

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

  1. sobore
    Original Member

    sobore Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:

    The process of obtaining, renewing, or updating a passport is exactly what one would expect when working with a government agency: tedious, mind-numbing, and overly complex. While you'll find everything you need to know about the often befuddling process on the U.S. State Department website, we've made things a little simpler for you by breaking down the basics—from forms to fees to IDs—and providing helpful links to the appropriate forms and websites.

    Getting your first passport
    To get your first passport, you'll have to show up in person. Make an appointment at an acceptance facility or passport agency; search for the one closest to you here. You likely live near a facility where you can get a passport. Many post offices and even some public libraries can accept passport applications. Arrive at your passport agency with:
    • Your filled-in DS-11 application form.
    • Evidence of U.S. citizenship. Find a list of acceptable documents here.
    • Valid identification. Find a list of acceptable ID here.
    • A photocopy of the front and back of the identification you're bringing on clean, white 8½" x 11" paper.
    • Your application fee. For a first-time adult passport, the total fee is $135.
    • Passport photos. You can read more about the specifications for passport photos here. But most major drug stores, such as Walgreens or CVS, will sell appropriately sized passport photos that comply with government standards; this makes things a little easier.

    Read More:
    GoodBoy, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  2. TravelBear

    TravelBear Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    It's been a while since I got my first passport but I don't recall having to set an appointment with an acceptance facility. Maybe things have changed?
    GoodBoy, uggboy and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

    Mapsmith Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    I think that the acceptance facility would be an Actual Passport Agency staffed with Department of State Officials. However, the Post Office often will have limited hours for the Passport acceptance. If you do go to a Center for expedited Passports, then you should probably have an appointment, or you can wind up waiting for quite a while.

    Here in Tucson, we have such an Office, They do require appointments since they are considered a Federal Office and have quite a detailed security set up.
    GoodBoy and uggboy like this.
  4. MX

    MX Gold Member

    Likes Received:
    Status Points:
    It's amazing that even low level feds now have to hide in bunkers.
    GoodBoy, Mapsmith and uggboy like this.
  5. the US passport renewal is relatively straight forward, I have a son born here, dual Aussie US citizen and get his renewed with ease, my Australian born kids i have to send certified passport photos of them etc, you'd think they'
    d just accept the existing passport as proof of identity when renewing:rolleyes:
    Mapsmith and MX like this.

Share This Page