Passing up on IHG in Vegas... :(

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, May 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely file this one under "first world problems" :)

I have a 7 night stay coming up in Vegas, but paid by work at the Aria -- which might be arguably nicer (or at least newer) than the IHG properties in Vegas.

Now it sucks that I have to give up the points, but I can't really justify (even as an Ambassador) staying at the Venetian/Palazzo instead of Aria.... but somehow it sucks to have to stay somewhere -- especially when it's not out of pocket -- and not earn any points.

Can someone make a compelling argument as to why I should stay off Aria? I think both the Venetian and Palazzo earn the new "flat" 2k points rather than per dollar spent, and I'm not even sure that "regular" Ambassadors (rather than Royal) have access to the minibar (the new $100 credit rather than the entire minibar, at that).

Thoughts?

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what Aria includes in the resort fee but Palazzo includes internet. In addition, Palazzo is a suite and not just a room.

Personally, I'd make the argument to save money and stay at a SPG, Hyatt, HHonors or Marriott property instead.

3. I dont get the dilemna. you are loyal to IC for the points you get. Your employer/client is paying the 7 night upcoming stay. You will get 7 nights closer to RA status.
    There are bonus plans you probably belong to, or should.
    Here's what one recent 3 night stay at the Barclay in NYC got me under their points per dollar spent plan which I think may still be active in all US/Canada hotels.

Qualifying Nights

Earning Details
    14,347 pts.

Bonus Points Earned
    7,173 pts.

ROYAL AMBASSADOR BONUS
    7,173 pts.

4. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at he aria, didn't much care for it. Service was pretty average, very very big and un personal. But that is Vegas in a nut shell for me.

We stayed there as part of a convention package, the room for me was essentially free as par of the organizing committee.

If you have a choice go for the ic properties, you can always split the stay and try both or all three places. One night each and then stay in your fav for the last 4 nights...